20

You had left Dave alone at your house, just like every day. You were slightly concerned that you'd come home to it burned down, but you had to have some faith in him. He's a semi-responsible adult, he knows how to take care of himself. However that may be. Besides, it hasn't happened yet, and you've been leaving him alone for a few weeks. You have to stop worrying about it.

At work, you've been getting to know Fritz more. You don't hang out with him very much, as he usually sticks around Jeremy. All the talks you have had with him are pleasant, though. He's very nice.

You turn around, hearing a thud behind you. You see the mop Jeremy was holding on the floor, so you pick it up for him.

"Thanks, (Y/N). Ugh, this would be a lot easier if there were more of us," Jeremy complained.

"You said that Dave used to work the day shift, right?" Fritz asked both of you.

You've decided against telling anyone that Dave came back. He told you not to for some reason. It hurt to watch Mr. Guy upset and not tell him. It seemed wrong.

"I'd rather mop these floors by myself than have him come back." Jeremy replied, recalling memories of him.

"Dave was fine, Jeremy. I don't get your problem with him," You defended Dave. Jeremy turned to you.

"You're only saying that because he was your boyfriend!" He laughed. You felt your face heat up. He is technically right.

"Wait, I feel like I'm missing something here. Can someone explain?" Fritz asks, confused. You've noticed he asks a lot of questions about Dave. Jeremy usually makes you answer them.

"(Y/N) and Dave were star-crossed lovers-"

"No, we weren't! Fritz, don't listen to him. Dave and I had a relationship, and then he ran away, simple as that. None of that "star-crossed lovers" shit," You explained.

"He ran away. I don't know about you, but that seems pretty star-crossed to me."

"Shut up, Jeremy."

"You sure you never found out where he went?" Fritz interrupted your tiny argument. Of course, you had your answer to that, and Jeremy had his. You kept your mouth sealed.

"No clue. But I wouldn't be surprised if he came crawling back."

"Hey, was there ever anyone working here who, I dunno... looked like me?" Fritz questioned. You stared at his face trying to figure out if he did look like anyone. You had to admit, he did look strangely like someone, but you couldn't place your finger on it.

"You know, now that you mention it..." Jeremy started. You continued to think before you got it. He looks like...

"Dave. You look a bit like Dave," You realized out loud. He had the same smile and face shape. It was quite scary how similar they looked. You could ask Dave about it, but you don't want to ask things that may be out of his comfort zone. You know what happened last time you did that.

"...The... the same Dave? The weird guy?"

"Yup," Jeremy responds, agreeing with you. A look of fear crossed his face. "I-I mean, no! Okay, well... I mean, I am starting to see a lot of like... physical similarities. I'm surprised that I never noticed it before. I-I guess it's because you're actually a good-looking guy. Dave sure wasn't, no matter how hard (Y/N) will try to tell you he was."

"Hey!"

"Actually, I might know where a photo of him is. Stay here," Jeremy left the room, going into Mr. Guy's office. You stood in silence beside Fritz.

"What was he like? I mean, I've heard what Jeremy tells me, but what are your thoughts on him?" Fritz asks, breaking the silence with a question about Dave. You want to play it safe, and not reveal too much about your relationship with him.

"Well, he was annoying. That's for sure. He had a certain, um, charm to him. Dave judged people quickly. He never gave Jeremy a chance, which is why Jeremy hates him," You spoke your thoughts. "You shouldn't take my opinion as fact, though. Dave was... complicated."

"Fritz!" Jeremy yelled from across the room. You could see a photo in his hand. You knew what photo that was. Mr. Guy kept it in his desk drawers as a personal memory. "I told you there was a photo lying around somewhere. Have a look for yourself!"

You look at the photo, and see you between Joan and Dave. Dave had grabbed your hand right before the picture was taken, so you saw the two of you holding hands. You remember scolding him for it, and he just laughed.

Jeremy hands the photo to Fritz and you saw his eyes widen in realization. Now you were curious. Clearly, Dave meant something to Fritz. There's something going on here, and you want to know what.

"Hey... you okay, man?" Jeremy broke your train of thought.

"Yeah! Yeah..." Fritz confirmed.

"Is that the guy you were looking for?" Jeremy asked.

"Hah, what? Nope, no way. That's not him. Not the least bit." You knew he was lying. Even though you don't know Fritz that well, you can tell when people are overly nervous. What's the reason? "Uh, let's get back to work."

You left the room with multiple questions. You didn't say anything to them on your way out, and you could feel the two staring at you.

You want to understand lots of things. Your questions still remain about Dave. Some being the accent, and the jars. Now that Fritz is here, more questions have been added. What's their connection? Why does he ask about Dave all the time? Why does he look like him?

What does everything mean?

.............................................

"He asked about you again." You tell Dave. He was laying on the couch with his feet on your lap. You were watching some random movie he put on, bored. So you decided to tell him about your day.

"What did ya say his name was?" He asks, looking at you.

"Fritz. He keeps asking what you were like, and what you looked like. He saw a photo Mr. Guy had, and he was shocked. Like, really shocked."

Dave sat up from his spot and pulled his feet back towards himself. He got off the couch and stood in front of you. "What did you tell him?"

"Nothing much. I briefly described your personality, and Jeremy insulted you. Normal stuff," You assure him.

"(Y/N), listen to me. I want ya to keep an eye on that kid. I don't trust 'im."

You were reminded of the serious tone he used during the argument. He must be completely serious about Fritz. What do these two want from each other? What is so important? How do they know each other?

"Alright, fine. I don't understand-"

"We aren't starting this again," Dave referenced the fight. You shut your mouth, not wanting to continue speaking. Dave sighed, sitting back down beside you. "Sorry, again. I know it must be confusin', but trust me the best ya can, okay?"

"I- okay, Dave."

He put his head on your shoulder, continuing to watch the movie. Why does everything have to be confusing?

.............................................

Hi! We're already at chapter 20! The time flies, man. I can't wait to write more chapters for all of you. I can't believe the amount of support this book gets. And so quickly, too. I'm talking about you, aftonsbf. I made pasta for supper tonight, it made a mess in the kitchen, but that's okay. No clue why I had to tell you this, but I guess it doesn't hurt. Thank you all so so so much, and have a good day/night!