Chapter 1: birthrights, training, and finals

"Hey Kakashi sensei!"

Kakashi looked up from his book to see Naruto running towards him. Kakashi was currently at the hospital to see Sasuke who had gotten here after he had the curse mark put on his neck by Orochimaru. He had it sealed and was put here so that he could heal.

"Kakashi sensei,:" Naruto said, "Can you train me for my fight against Neji? I've been trying to think of ways to do it myself and I'm coming up blank."

"No," Was the answer.

"What why not?" Naruto asked. He was starting to get really annoyed with his so called sensei. He always took Sasuke off after training to teach him special jutsu.

Kakashi looked around and then leaned down to Naruto.

"I can't tell you here," he said making Naruto raise and eyebrow, "Meet me in the Hokage's office in twenty minutes I'll explain there."

Naruto was slightly confused but decided to just listen to his sensei. He had a feeling this was going to get very interesting.

Twenty minutes later...

Naruto arrived in the Hokage's office wondering what it was Kakashi wanted to tell him. He was shocked to see that Kakashi was already there.

"Your actually here," Naruto said surprised. He ran to the window and looked up to the sky as if searching for something. The Hokage and Kakashi looked at Naruto like he was nuts when Naruto turned around.

"Okay," he said relieved, "It's not the end of the world!"

The two sweat dropped and looked at Naruto as he turned serious.

"Okay then why won't you train me Kakashi?" Naruot asked really wanting some answers.

"Because," Kakashi said, "I'm not strong enough to be your teacher Naruto."

"What?" Naruto was wondering if he had actually heard that right, "Your not strong enough?"

"Naruto," Kakashi explained, "If you are anything like your mother and father you are going to need a really strong perosn to train you. Unfortunately that person is too busy at the hot springs "researching" for a book."

Naruto sweat dropped at that. He had a feeling that he would like this person.

"For that reason," the hokage said, "we are going to give you your birthrights."

"My birthrights?" Naruto asked hoping that this wasn't some messed up fantasy.

"The hokage smirked at Naruto and reached into his desk. He pulled out five scrolls. One was red, another was green, another was white with kanji for light on it, another was black in kanji on it, another was silver with beast in kanji.

"Naruto," the Hokage said, "Your mother gave me these scrolls for safe keeping before she died."

"My m-mother?" Naruto asked wanting to know more.

"Yes," the old man said, "You see your mother, Kushina Uzumaki, was not form Konoha. She was from the whirlpool village in water county. The Uzumaki clan founded the village and lived there for many years. She came to Konoha under the wishes of her father who wanted and alliance with us. Here she met your father. The two fell in love and after a while they married in secret."

"In secret?" Naruto asked, "Why?"

"Your father," the old fire shadow explained, "had a great deal of enemies in and outside the village. He married your mother in secret to protect her and you from those enemies."

"Who was my father?" Naruto asked.

"I can't tell you," the hokage answered making Naruto pout, "However, I will tell you if you win the tournament and gain the rank of chuunin."