Chapter 20- The Beast Witthin

"I'm her mother, and I don't approve."

Henri looked upon the face of his mate's biological mother and felt an anger that he hadn't felt even when he was crushing the wind pipes of his challenger Mathieu under his paws.

His blood boiled, and his cat scrapped and moved under his skin.

Feeling the anger bubbling out of him, Luc put a calming hand on his shoulder reminding him of where he was.

It helped...but not much.

How dare she?

Not after all she's done.

He understood she was a mere teenager when she got pregnant, and although he was angry that he'd given her up but he also could comprehend how scary the thought of having a child this young could be. Especially since your family was ready to disown you if you choose to keep the child.

He got that.

He was also grateful that she didn't just throw her away somewhere, that even if she didn't go through the process of giving her up for adoption, she still used the safe haven law, which is when a parent decides to give up an unarmed infant in a police station, fire station, church etc...

But what he couldn't forgive her for, was the fact that she found her. She wasn't looking for her child, but she stumbled onto her and even now that she was no longer under the thumbs of her parents, that even now that she was rich on her right, she still chose to keep Natalia in the dark for years. And now she had the gall to come here and pull the "mother" card to keep his mate away from him???

How the hell did she even know Natalia was in the hospital!?

Then he remembered he'd asked Max to let her co-workers know about what happened, so she probably got the news from them.

It's been 24hrs since the surgery ended. They had a couple of closed calls. She's even flatline once he was told, and that titbit of info has made his cat even more edgy now.

He almost lost his mate, under his watch. That's something he would have never been able to live with.

His blood has proven to work, albeit slower than he'd wished.

His doctor back home had let them know of what might happen after she's had gotten his blood.

He wanted to take her home on his island as soon as the surgery was done. But the doc vehemently told him no.

She was not to be moved for the next 12 hours. The surgery was a success, but she was still very much at risk and was to be closely monitored.

His blood was helping her heal faster than the normal human, but he needed the process to speed up.

The truth was, the full moon was tomorrow night. Although, as felines they didn't usually depend on the power of the moon as much as the wolves. All born feline shifters needed was to be of age and he or she would change. But given that, his mate was being changed from human to shifter, and she was well passed the age, the pull of the moon will be irresistible to her cat and she will going to go through her first change whether she was awake or not, and if she is not fully healed by then or very close to being healed, her body might not be able to take the added stress.

There's no way in hell he could let that happen here, in this human hospital.

But as he was in the middle of signing the proper paperwork to take her out of the hospital and airlift her home, under the gaze of a not so happy doctor still against him taking her, in waltzed Arielle demanding...stuff.

The fuck?

Much to the doctor's pleasure. He is lucky he saved her life or he'd get punch in the face.