7 : the white witch

{ chapter 7 : the white witch }

❄️❄️

Now that Edmund had been reunited with his siblings, things felt almost normal once again. Apart from the fact that they were in a magical land that they had found at the back of a wardrobe, and they were preparing for war against an evil witch - they were enjoying a calming breakfast together.

The girls chuckled as Edmund's hands grabbed at the pieces of toast that lay on their plates; stealing the food from both of his sisters as he shoved the bread into his mouth. He felt as though he hadn't eaten in weeks and was now making up for it.

"Narnia's not going to run out of toast, Ed." Lucy said as she tucked into her own meal.

Peter arrived, leaning his back against some of the rocks nearby, watching his siblings closely. "I'm sure they'll pack something up for the journey back."

"We're going home?" Susan wondered, not understanding why they were suddenly leaving when the battle was coming soon.

"You are. I promised mum I'd keep you three safe. But it doesn't mean I can't stay behind and help."

Edmund swallowed his toast quickly, narrowing his eyes at his brother. "You're just saying that because Zarina is staying."

"Edmund, enough!"

"Peter, they need us." Lucy argued, knowing the prophecy better than any of them. "All four of us and Zarina."

"Lucy, it's too dangerous." He snapped at her, his eyes wide and scared. "You almost drowned, Edmund was almost killed!"

"Which is why we have to stay. I've seen what the White Witch can do and I've helped her to do." Edmund felt guilty over his actions and wanted to make up for it. "We can't leave these people behind to suffer for it, we can't leave Zarina behind to suffer."

Susan stood abruptly up from the table. "I suppose that's it then."

"Where are you going?" Peter questioned, worried for his siblings who were stubborn but would get into trouble if they weren't careful.

"To get in some practise." Susan picked up her bow and arrows, before walking away from the breakfast table.

Seeing the siblings heading to the training grounds, Zarina excitedly followed them as she had missed spending time with them. Susan and Lucy both stood across from the targets as the older girl aims her bow and shoots an arrow, almost landing in the middle of the target. Lucy aims her dagger and is shocked when the blade hits the bullseye.

Before they could celebrate, they hear horses neighing behind them and glance over their shoulders to see the brothers riding towards them with their swords in the air.

"Come on, Ed!" Peter cheered as he showed off his riding skills along with his sword fighting skills. "Sword point up, like Zarina showed us."

"You taught them how to duel?" Susan asked, raising an eyebrow.