5 : father christmas

{ chapter 5 : father christmas }

❄️❄️

When the sun rose the next morning, the children headed away from camp with the beavers leading the way. Fox had left to continue his mission of rounding up more troops for Aslan but had wished them luck on their journey. The winter was still taking over Narnia, and the children kept their fur coats to protect them from the harsh weather.

Zarina walked with Lucy at the back of the group, Susan and Peter walked ahead of them; the boy glanced back every so often to check on them because as much as he wanted to forget about the girl keeping secrets, he worried about her safety as much as the rest of his family.

They headed towards the snowy mountains, away from the castle of the White Witch and in the direction of the camp that Aslan had created. The group stopped along the edge of the mountain where they could see the world of Narnia much clearer, seeing just how large this land was.

"Now, Aslan's camp is near the Stone Table just across the frozen river." Beaver pointed across the view in front of them and Zarina nodded, taking notes of where they were heading despite not remembering this world as well as she thought she did.

"River?" Peter repeated, wanting to ensure that they were all on the same page for this journey.

"Oh, the river's been frozen solid for a hundred years." Mrs Beaver explained, knowing Narnia better than the others because she had lived here her entire life, just like her husband.

He looked out at the land that he could see, knowing that there was so much more hidden to the eye. "It's so far."

"It's the world, dear."

"Our world." Zarina corrected, smiling weakly to the siblings, only the youngest seemingly happy about being a part of Narnia as the others were still contemplating going home without fighting. "Did you think it'd be small?"

"Smaller." Susan admitted, starting to walk once again so that they didn't waste time; the faster that they got to Aslan, the faster they could save Edmund and the faster they could go home.

The beavers led the children across the ice, glancing back every so often to make sure that the children were close behind. Despite having a few hours to rest, they were becoming tired once again and struggled to keep up with the animals that were used to journeys like this one.

"Come on, humans! While we're still young."

"If he tells us to hurry one more time, I'm going to turn him into a big, fluffy hat." Peter groaned, leaning down to allow Lucy to jump onto his back so that she could rest her feet.

Zarina smirked, enjoying his sense of humour. "Well, that would be rather fashionable for winter weather."

"Hurry up! Come on!" Beaver's voice cut through as Peter and Zarina rolled their eyes to each other, feeling on the same page once again.