prologue

The war with the White Witch had trudged on for many months and the Narnians were growing tired of the fight

The war with the White Witch had trudged on for many months and the Narnians were growing tired of the fight. Tired of losing loved ones and tired of fighting a losing battle. No matter what tactics they tried, she always seemed to be one step ahead of them and there was no end in sight.

One by one battalions were being squashed as if there were mere bugs swatted away. The Narnians that could not fight remained hidden in underground bunkers, in the forest where they could stick together under the trees. It was hard without seeing the sunlight for days on end but it was the only way to protect their families.

They stuck together through the hard times, relying on their leader to keep them safe. Aslan was the mightiest lion in all of Narnia, he was brave and loyal and he would give his last breath to save his subjects. But he also had other reasons for keeping this particular bunker safe as it held something far more important than anything the witch would want.

It held his daughter.

Many nicknamed her Sunshine because of her vibrant personality, the smile that was always present on her face and the way that she brightened any situation. Her fur was golden, lighting up the dull and dark bunker and her laughter rang through their ears as if dripped in honey.

Aslan made his way through the underground bunker, ducking his head down to avoid roots from the trees and ensuring that his paws did not get caught on any thorns that were lying around. He glanced over his shoulder, watching his young cub as she explored the home of their friends.

Zarina's eyes were always wide with enthusiasm, she was always smiling and could turn any pessimist into having an optimist outlook. She was only a child, her innocence clearly shown through her vulnerability as she didn't understand the harsh realities of war.

It was his own fault, he should have been clearer with her about the harshness of war. She should have known to expect fear and grief and anger but instead she was happy.

The Narnians bowed to Aslan as he made his way through their home but as important as he was, many of his subjects were more interested in seeing his daughter. The Princess of Narnia. She was the one that would lead them to the promised land, she was the one that would brighten their lives.

That night and everything seemed normal in the bunker until Aslan was awoken by one of his most trusted soldiers. "Aslan." His voice broke through the silence as the lion raised his head. "It is time."

Rushing into the space next to his own, he found his cub curled up and sleeping peacefully. As much as he wanted to relish this moment of peace and innocence, he couldn't take the risk and began nudging the sleeping lion cub with his nose to wake it up. "Zarina, come, we must go."