Chapter 20, Part 1 of 3

“Alpha Mine”

2013 Copyright © All Rights Reserved

Edited By: LadyDawn

Chapter 20 (Part 1 of 3)

Tayla gasped. The cup that she was holding only inches from her mouth suddenly slipped out of her hands and in slow motion, it tumbled to the floor. The clear glass exploded on impact, crystal fragments scattering, frigid ice water splashing high on her bare legs.

Shudders started to wrack Tayla’s body. Her fingers began to tremble uncontrollably.

A heavy blanket of turmoil wrapped her in a tightly woven cocoon.

Something was terribly wrong. She felt it deep in her bones.

The soul mate connection that she had with her mate was barely discernible. The harder she reached for that connection that she was so used to having, the further it seemed away.

She knew what that meant and her stomach lurched. Rafe was in serious trouble.

“Luna?” Lorraine walked into the kitchen, took one look at Tayla’s ghostly pale face and knew that something was wrong. “Luna?” she repeated uneasily. She carefully set the tray of empty glasses she was carrying down on the counter. “Are you okay?”

Tayla turned to Lorraine but she couldn’t speak. Her tongue felt thick in her mouth, her throat tightened and her chest squeezed the breath from her lungs. She couldn’t move; everything hurt too much. All she could do was stare straight ahead.

“Oh my goddess!” Lorraine exclaimed, running to her side. There was only one thing that she could think of that would be that type of expression on her Luna’s face. The Alpha.

Lorraine gently laid her hand on her shoulder knowing that touch was the best way to reach her wolf. Over the years she’d heard enough from her dad to know that when one’s soul mate is knocking on heaven’s door that the first few minutes were the most critical.

She also knew that being an alpha’s mate, Tayla was more than likely blood bound. When their Alpha crossed over to the great pasture, she would soon follow him. As long as she breathed, then that meant that her Alpha was still alive. She stepped closer to Tayla so that her arm brushed her Luna’s. “What’s wrong?” she prodded gently. “Can you tell me what happened?”

Tayla squeezed her eyes closed. She felt so empty. Normally, she could feel Rafe’s connection like a ray of sunshine warming her from the inside out. Now, her ray of sunshine dimmed to a small flicker of light. She felt cold and alone. She was losing him.

“Tayla, please,”Lorraine started to shake her when she remained unresponsive. “I need you to look at me.”

“What the hell is going on in here?”

Lorraine cringed at the accusing tone in Blake’s voice. She didn’t dare try to break the connection that she was trying to form with Tayla’s wolf. She kept her eyes on her Luna. “Blake,” she said calmly, “I need you to go and get my dad. Now!”

“Eh, that would be a no. Not until you tell me what is going on in here. As the future Luna of this pack, I need to know what is going on.”

Lorraine slowly breathed in through her nose and out through her mouth. “Blake, please, now is not the time to be a bitch. I sense that it’s the alpha but that’s all I know. Now, will you please go get my dad? He will know what to do.”

Blake leaned up against the refrigerator and crossed her arms over her chest. This was better than she could have expected. If something was to happen to the reigning alpha, then Adam would instantly become the new acting alpha. That would make her the new Luna. “See, the thing is- I don’t take orders very well. I’d rather give them out so why don’t you run along and get your dad? I’ll stay here with the Luna.”