Chapter 14

“Alpha Mine”

 2012 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 14

The first thing that Dava noticed when she began to rouse herself back to a conscious state was that she ached.  She felt like she had just been hit, ran over and dragged by an eighteen wheeler and it didn’t feel good.   

And that was the least of her problems.  Dava fought down a fresh wave of panic when she realized that she didn’t have a clue as to where she was at or whom she was with.  Wherever she was though, she was warm, the covering around her was soft and she could sense that it was dark but her eyes stubbornly refused to open.

She tried her best to remain calm and lifted her nose up to the air to test her surroundings.  With her first cautious sniff Dava was suddenly assaulted by the strong smell of antiseptic and oddly enough, the smell of fresh plaster.  If she had the energy, she would have wrinkled her nose at the offensive scents but it hurt to just think about moving.

She forced herself to remain perfectly still and tried really hard to concentrate on what she could remember.  The last thing that she could remember was leaving Pack Territory.  All she could think about was getting away from Adam, the Alpha’s son.  Somehow, he had got it into his head that she was his mate and that was impossible.  She was a turned and he was an original; an Alpha original at that.  Turned and originals just didn’t mix.

She could remember driving down the road and she could remember leaning over to change the radio station when a slew of images came at her fast and furious.  She saw the van coming straight at her, she relived the impact of crushing metal, and she could almost feel her body being tossed around like a rag doll as the car rolled for what seemed like forever again.  And then there was the awful silence and the pain- the horrible pain.  It had all been too much for her to handle.  At one point she had even gone as far as to accept the fact that she wasn’t going to make it. 

But then she also thought she remembered seeing… the Alpha.

She could have sworn that he was there.  She was almost certain that he was the one that pulled her out of the burning wreckage.  But if that was the case, where was he now. For that matter, where was she. 

Dava tried again to open her eyes and that little movement sent sharp spasms of pain echoing throughout her body.  She fought back the whimper that she so badly wanted to release, knowing that she needed to remain calm.  Her first order of business was to figure out where she was.

She sniffed again and felt every single one of her muscles stiffen.  There was another scent that she was picking up.  This one was familiar and the very same scent that she had tried to run from to begin with.  Adam.

“Hey, don’t try to move to much baby.  Both your arm and your leg are in a hard cast.  The doctor said you would need to wear them for about a week and he ordered strict bed rest for you over the next seventy-two hours.”  She felt a warm hand gently touch her cheek and she instantly wanted to lean into that touch.  “I’ve sent Logan for some soup.  The doctor said that you would wake up really thirsty after all the antibiotics he shot you up with.”

When he mentioned being thirsty, Dava tried to move her tongue around in her mouth and realized how swollen it was.  Her mouth was cotton ball dry and her throat was sore.  Her lips parted just a little and she felt something cool and thin being placed there. 

“Here, small sips baby.  You don’t want to drink it too fast and make yourself sick.  I’ve got some pain pills to give you and the doctor of the territory we’re in said I should give you some more of my blood to help promote the healing process.”