Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Thirteen years later...................

“Good morning.” Adam looked up and smiled at his mother. Her soft smoky grey eyes were such a welcome sight after waking up day after day to the sound of his roommates snores. He had spent the last five years at a boarding school in Switzerland and after a whole lot of begging and pleading his case, he convinced his parents to let him spend his last year of high school back at home so he could start to assimilate with the pack. In just a few years he would be expected to take over the lead and he didn’t want to come in as a complete stranger to his own pack. He wanted to know his fellow people and he wanted them to know him as well. He couldn't very well expect them to allow an unknown wolf to step into leadership.

Adam dipped his spoon into his cornflakes, stood up and kissed his mother’s cheek. “Good morning mother,” he smiled again. Her familiar scent of lilacs and fresh rain engulfed him. As a little boy, it was always his one true comfort. “It feels so good to be back home.”

“It’s good to have you back at home.” Tayla patted her son’s cheek unable to come up with the right words to express to him exactly how glad she was that he was finally home. He had been gone for so long it seemed and without his laughter in the home, it always felt so lonely. She hadn’t agreed with Rafe when he first sent their son so far away for his education but his father had insisted. He argued that studying abroad would make him a better Alpha in the long run. She didn’t really believe that but she put her selfish pride aside and blindly trusted in her husband, hoping that he was right.

Adam sat back down and picked up his spoon again. Tayla moved to the counter to start the coffee carafe. “So,” she started and cleared her throat. “Are you ready for your first day of school?”

He jammed a spoonful of cereal in his mouth and slowly chewed. Talya turned around and leaned her back against the counter, content to just watch her son. So many days that she missed, just watching him grow up. Now that he was back, he was already full grown and she would never be able to get those days back.

When he finished chewing, he put the spoon back down by this bowl. “As ready as I’ll ever be,” he answered her. “Logan came by last night and we talked for a good hour. He brought me up to speed on who’s who and what’s what. To tell you the truth, I’m actually a little excited; especially since I don’t have to wear a uniform.”

Tayla laughed and Adam thought the sound of her laughter was simply sweet music to his ears. It had been so long since he last heard his mother laugh that it was no wonder he hadn’t forgotten what it had sounded like. Even when he came home for holidays, everything always seemed so strained around the house, between him and his parents, and before he knew it, he found himself on a plane heading back to school. “Logan. He’s Bud and Shannon’s son, right? He used to be the runt of the pack. If I remember correctly, back in preschool, some of the other pups were picking on him and you took up for him. From that point on, the two were attached at the hip. At least until you went off to school.”

“Yeah,” Adam agreed and chuckled. “That’s the one, but I wouldn’t call him a runt anymore. The guy is almost as big as me, if not as big. He’s come a long way in five years.”

“That’s good to hear. I’m glad that you two reconnected so quickly. He comes from a good family line and would be a fine candidate for your beta.” The coffee perked and Tayla turned back around, busying herself with fixing her a cup.

Adam turned back to his cereal. “I’ve already thought of that,” he mentioned just before shoveling another large bite in his mouth. Tayla picked up her coffee cup and joined him at the table. After yet another bite, he put the spoon down and pushed the bowl away. “Guys like Logan are few and far between. I can read him and I like that. With Logan, you get what you see. With the guys back in Switzerland, I felt like everyone put on a facade with me. They all knew I was a soon-to-be Alpha so they put on an act, wanting to get close to me. It was a real pain in my ass.”