Chapter 21 (Part 1 of 2)

"Alpha Mine"

Copyright 2013 © All Rights Reserved

Edited By: LadyDawn

Chapter 21 (Part 1 of 2)

Aiden closed his phone and agitated, he tossed it to the seat. The light turned green and he pressed the gas pedal a little harder than he needed to. He couldn’t help it. His frustrations were starting to get the better of him.

He’d been trying to reach Jared for the last hour now and was still only getting his voice mail. “Damn it! Where the hell could he be?”

Logan glanced over at him but decided not to say anything. Earlier, when he tried to make light of the two wolves currently cuddling in the back of the truck by mentioning the fact that Dava would no longer be perceived as a lower ranking wolf, Aiden snarled at him.  He went into a tirade announcing that Dava was not and would never be a lower wolf. Her father was the head enforcer of the pack and accordingly, she should have been afforded the mutual respect that her family was due.

Of course, that’s not how it went.  Everyone knew that she had been turned when she was a child.  If it hadn’t been for Jared’s quick acting and the Alpha’s blood, she probably would have never even survived her attack. Dava was an adopted member of the pack and she was treated as such.  

Even the Alpha made sure that she was kept at bay, arguably keeping her uninvited to the more important events that only the socially inept were allowed to attend. Rafe had been careful, especially where Dava was concerned, so that racial caste lines were never skewered.  

Logan didn’t think it was fair but Dava wasn’t putting up a fight.  He figured she liked being left out of pack politics. Every Time he saw her she had her nose in a book anyway.   As long as she was happy, he figured that it was okay.

Boy, he had been wrong and Aiden made it his prerogative to let Logan know just how wrong he had been. He would never make that mistake again, not where little Dava Morale was concerned.  Not only was her mate his Alpha, her family was pretty badass too.  She had an enforcer for a father, a Dark Horse Mercenary for an Uncle-  Dava was suddenly his new best friend.

Aiden braked at another red light and sighed.  He was not looking forward to telling Jared about his beloved daughters mating.  He was going to be pissed. But if what the pup beside him said was true, that these two were in fact true mates, his brother was going to have to get over it.  “How are they doing back there?”  .  

Logan turned around in his seat and watched Adam rub his nose against the side of Dava’s snout.  They’d tried to get them both to shift before they left but the mating was too soon and neither would comply. He also suspected that Dava’s wolf might be holding on a little longer than normal because Dava’s human self wasn’t as sure about this mating as her wolf was.  

He turned back around in his seat and stared out at the road.  “The same thing they were doing earlier.”

Aiden growled and tightened his hands on the wheel.  The light turned green again and he stomped on the gas.  “I can see it now, I’m going to end up killing that pup before this is all said and done.”

Tired, Logan surprised both Aiden and himself by saying, “Give them a break.  Their mates, they’re getting to know each other.  It’s what newly mated couples do.”

A second of chilling silenced passed before Aiden growled again. He couldn’t stop himself.  “I know what newly mated couples do and I’m telling you now, if the pup thinks that because he’s her mate that he’s going to paw all over my niece, he’s got another thing coming.  She’s not even eighteen yet.”

“She will be in two weeks,” Logan added.

Aiden almost missed the upcoming red light and had to quickly lock the truck down by slamming his foot on the brakes.  

Logan was jerked forward, his body straining against the seat belt. Going off instinct, he threw his hands up on the dashboard.  “What the hell dude?” he cried. “Have you lost your damn mind?”

“There are many that will tell you I lost my mind years ago,” Aiden said calmly.  He was glaring at Logan, unable to let that last remark slide.  He didn’t care how old Dava was, she was his niece and he would go to hell and back to protect her.  “Would you like to explain to me...”