Chapter 16, Part 1

“Alpha Mine”

2012 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 16—Part 1

Shifting in mid-stride, Jason took off sprinting quickly through the woods. He knew that he could get to Dava’s house much faster on four legs than he could if he had tried to navigate his car through the ever changing traffic lights in town. And right now, time was everything. Every minute, every single second mattered.

If something had happen too her, he didn’t know what he would do. For right now though, he refused to even think about it. What mattered most was seeing her with his own two eyes, touching her with his own two hands. Nothing else would suffice.

So he ran. He ran and he could feel his heart beating in time with each new step that he landed. He measured his breathing against the gentle sway of his lean, wolf body. The mere thought of her being injured caused his chest to constrict and spurred his need to get to her even faster. He had to assure himself, reassure his beast that she was going to be okay.

Darting through the trees, leaping over brush and side stepping aging stumps he cursed himself seven sides of Sunday for leaving her alone with Adam earlier that morning. He should have pushed harder and insisted that he be the one to stay with her. He should have never left her side. Jason felt like if he had just managed to shadow Dava, at least then she would have never been able to leave pack lands without an escort and then she wouldn’t be hurt now.

He would have made sure of it, he would have protected her.

This was all Adam’s fault. The stupid wolf thought that just because he was the Alpha’s son that he could come back home and push himself on anybody he chose to be with. It didn’t matter that Dava was the one female that he knew he couldn’t really have. She wasn’t an original and she could never be an Alpha female. And besides that, the pack elders would never allow a match between them so why would he even waste the time on a female like her?

Because he wanted someone he could play with. That’s why. And who would be more perfect that the sweet and alluring Dava? At first glance no one would think that she would be one to complain. She would make the perfect play toy for him. Adam could easily play with her and then when his father forced him to make his mating choice, he could throw her out like yesterday’s trash and not think twice about it.

To Adam, this was all a game.A  stupid game that he could play in his spare time to amuse himself.

Jason growled at the thought of anyone playing his sweet Dava.

To him, Dava was life. He wanted her as his mate and he refused to let anyone or anything get in his way. He messed up big time by trying to give her time to get used to him and the idea of them being mates.

Not again. He wouldn’t make that mistake again. As soon as he could, he would publicly declare Dava as his intended mate and then he would officially claim her as his. He knew that he could make her happy. She would never want for nothing as long as he was at her side. That was fact, pure and simple.

Sweating and panting heavily, Jason broke through the edge of the tree line that put him in Dava’s back yard. He was running full speed ahead and was brought to a screeching halt when Toby, one of the packs’s leading enforcers, stepped in front of him, blocking his path. He looked dangerously hard and imposing with his legs spread shoulder width apart and his arms folded stiffly over his chest. “Where do you think you’re going, pup?”

Jason breathed in deeply and let the magic of the shift wash over him. Standing straight backed in his human skin, he lowered his head respectively and then raised his chin. He didn’t dare show any sign of weakness in front of this enforcer. He knew very well who Dava’s father was and if he wanted his permission for the mating, then he was going to have to show that he was a strong enough wolf to take care of her. “I’ve just heard about the accident,” he rushed out, “and I’ve come to check on Dava.”