Chapter 9

“Alpha Mine”

2012 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 9

     Dava ran.  Breathing heavily, she ran down one hall and then turned and ran down another.  There was no way that she could go to class.  Not now.  Not with the way that she was feeling.  What she needed right now more than anything was some space to process what was happening to her.  None of this made any sense.  First Jason, then Adam?  Both of them determined to have her?  A turned no less?  Had she woke up this morning in an alternate universe or something?

     This time last year, neither one of those guys would have bothered to give her a second look. She wasn’t an original.  She was just the low man on the totem pole and she was happy with that. She didn’t bother anyone and no one bothered her.  In the past it all worked out rather nicely for her but now, well now she can’t seem to get either of them to leave her alone and she had a bad feeling that was going to cause a problem in the pack- a big problem.

     Reaching the girls restroom, she quickly ducked inside.  Her legs were shaking, her hands trembled and her emotions were all over the charts.  When Adam touched her, she couldn’t explain her reaction to him. For some reason she had suddenly wanted to crawl into his embrace.  She wanted him to hold her close, to touch her in places that she had never been touched, to kiss her and.... that was what scared the hell out of her.

     Leaning up against the cool cemented wall, Dava squeezed her eyes closed.  She had to stop this madness.  It was crazy, pure out craziness to think that either one of those guys would want anything more from her than a piece of ass.  She may not be experienced when it came to guys and what they wanted but she wasn’t stupid.  

     She wouldn’t let them do it.  She wouldn’t give in.  There was no way that she would let either one of them take advantage of her like that.

    She groaned.  That was easier said than done.  Her skin was still sensitive from where Adam had touched her.  It tingled and set a fire inside of her that she had a feeling only he could douse. And that was bad- very bad because she wasn’t about to let him get close enough to her again to douse those ignited flames; not today, not tomorrow, not any day for that matter.     

     She needed to leave.  That’s what she needed to do.  She needed to get out of here and go as far away from this place as she could.  Adam just made her feel too much and Jason only intimidated her.  

     Leaving was the only plausible answer. She could see that but how could she convince her parents of that? With the encouragement of the Alpha, she had managed to convince them to let her go off to college but that was a whole year away.  Could she wait that long?

     Dava traced the path on her arm where Adam had touched her only minutes earlier.  She felt that small touch all the way to the center of her core.  It pulsed with a need that she had never felt before in her life.  One that she had only read about in her books.  It was then that she realized her panites had dampened with need- need for him.

     No!  She couldn’t wait a year.  If she did, she would lose herself to him and when Adam decided that he was done with her, she would be left alone and heartbroken.  No wolf would ever want her as mate.  

     She had to leave, there was no other way around it.  This time, she couldn’t tell her parents, she couldn’t tell anyone.  She couldn’t take the chance that someone would try and stop her.  No, it would be for the best if she left quietly without anyone knowing.  

     Pushing up off the wall, Dava fortified herself knowing what she had to do.  She hitched her bag up higher on her shoulders.  She didn’t have a clue as to where she was going, only that it had to be far away from here.  

     The bell rang and Dava stopped herself from leaving the bathroom,  deciding it would be better if she waited a minute to let the halls clear.  The bathroom door swung open and instinctively, she shrunk back into the shadows.  

     She could see just well enough to know that it was Blake and her two sidekicks that had walked in.  Dava frowned, It just seemed like her luck was coming in spades these days.  She pressed herself up against the wall, stayed as still as possible and prayed that they didn’t smell her because the last thing she wanted this morning was a confrontation with Blake of all people.  

     “So, what are you going to do about it?”

     Blake snorted.  “What do you mean what am I going to do about it?”   

     “You know,” Audrey insisted.  “Adam, he declared last night with her.  Dava Morale.”

     “I’m not going to do anything.”

     “But?”

     Blake cut Audrey off.  “You seen how mad his dad was last night.  There is no way that he’ll let  Adam mate with her.  And besides, after he sees me today, how can he resist?”

     Dava caught a flash of her image in the mirror and noticed the dress that she had on.  If fit her like a glove. She was absolutely beautiful and she was right, how could Adam resist her when she looked like that?  Blake was the one that he needed to be with, not her.

     “I don’t know,” Maria lifted her shoulders in a shrug.  “He looked pretty determined last night.  You would almost think that Adam and Dava were a true mating match.”

     Blake bursted out laughing.  “That’s impossible.  She is a turned.  Jared and Stephanie aren’t her real parents, everyone knows that.  Like I said, I have the blood line, I’ve got the looks and I have been groomed to be the Alpha female.  It’s all pretty much done, I mean Adam and I, except the actual mating part of course.”  Blake smiled.  “But if I have anything to do with it, that won’t take too long to take care of either.  On full moons, males have a hard time controlling themselves and the next full moon is less than two weeks away.  The quicker I get him to mark me, the sooner last night's nightmare can be forgotten.”

     “You’re right,” Audrey put in.  “You two look like you were made for each other.”

     Maria giggled. “I know, right.  Why would he even want to think about being with Dava when he could have you.  She is just so...”

     “I know,” Blake said.  “You don’t have to tell me twice.  Sometimes I wonder how many times she got beat with the ugly stick when she was growing up.  That hair of hers, it’s just awful.  It’s way to blonde and it just lays there like a bunch of limp noodles and her complexion, it’s entirely too pale.  Anyone who looks at her can see that she wasn’t born in this pack.  She just creeps me out.”  Blake visibly shuddered.  “Come on girls.  Enough talk of the mutt.  Time for me to go impress my man.”

     Dava stayed perfectly still until she heard the bathroom door close.  She had to fight back the sting of tears that pricked at her eyes.  She knew that she wasn’t good enough for the Alpha’s son but still, it hurt to hear someone else say it.  It was just one more reason though that she could add to her list for why she needed to leave.  

     She didn’t belong here, she never did.  She loved the Morales’ for taking her in and raising her, but they weren’t her real parents.  As far as she was concerned she didn’t have any real parents. She wiped at the lone traitorous tear that had somehow escaped her eyes.  If she wasn’t sure about leaving before, she was sure now.  She no longer had any other options.  

     Pushing herself out of the corner, she walked to the door.  Taking a deep breath, she composed herself.  It was time for her to grow up.  This was what she needed to do.  Opening up the door, she stuck her head out and was relieved that the halls were empty.  She didn’t think that she could handle much more drama today.  Enough was enough.

     Stepping out of the bathroom, she walked towards the exit.  This was the last time she would walk these halls, the last time she would be in this school.  So many dreams she had dreamt in this place, so many dreams that could never come true.  She walked out of the building and headed for her car without a backwards glance.  There was no use looking at what could have been, all she could do now was look ahead.

                                                                    ********

     “Hey man, have you seen Dava?”

     Logan picked up his tray and glanced back at his friend.  “Um no, wasn’t she supposed to be in your last class?”

     Adam rubbed at his tired eyes.  Something in his gut told him that something was wrong but he had yet been able to figure out what that something was.  “Yeah, but she wasn’t there and I haven’t seen her since this morning.  What about Jason, have you seen him lately?”

     Logan turned towards the entrance of the cafeteria.  Several guys were standing around there, messing around with a few of the human girls.  ”Yeah, he’s over there,” he pointed out.  “She’s not usually in here at lunch.  I think she usually goes outside if it’s nice and to the library if it's raining. You might want to check outside.”

     Adam didn’t bother with getting a tray.  Not now anyways. He started for the door.  He needed to know where his mate was.  She may not be ready to fully accept him yet and he would do his best to give her the space that she needed but he had to know that she was at least okay.

     “Hey Adam?”

     Adam had already made it halfway across the cafeteria when he heard his name being called and stopped, turned back around to face Logan.  “Check the big oak tree out by the parking lot.  That’s where she normally goes.”

     “Thanks man.”  Turning back around, he started once again for the exit. His eyes instantly met with Jason’s for the briefest of seconds and the threat was there.  It stretched between them but neither of them said a word.  

      This time it was Jason that first broke the stare down between them when he shifted his attention back around to one of the girls that had spoken to him.  

     Any other time, Adam would have called him out but right now he was more worried about his little mate.  And in his eyes, she was all that mattered.  She came before everyone, even a wolf that was showing signs of wanting to challenge him.  Dava came first.

     Adam walked outside of the school and shaded his eyes with his hand while he looked for the big oak tree that Logan had mentioned.  It didn’t take him long to find it.  It sort of stuck out like a sore thumb in a sea of pines.  He started in that direction and was halfway across the parking lot when he realized that she wasn’t there. 

     “Where could she be?”  Frowning, Adam glance back out over the parking lot and realized her car was gone.  Did she leave school?  Why would she leave early?  Had she gotten sick?

     He could feel his wolf starting to rise within him, itching to shed the human skin.  That gut feeling he had earlier was starting to churn once again.  Something wasn’t right.  He didn’t know how he knew, but something was wrong, very wrong and the longer that he stood there procrastinating, the more uncertainty that he felt.   

     “Damn it!” he cursed, reaching in his back pocket for his keys only to remember that they were in his book bag locked away in his locker.  Struggling to hold his wolf in, he spun around and started back for the school.  

     Hopefully, this gut feeling was just an overreaction because he hasn’t yet mated with Dava.  He would do a little drive-by at her house.  If all was well, her car would be parked in the driveway and he would come back to school and finish the day.  After classes, he would go out and check on her, make sure she didn’t need anything.  That was Adam’s plan.  It was a good plan he thought to himself as he jogged back in the school, a really good plan.

     “There you are Adam.  I’ve been looking for you all day long.  If I didn’t know any better, then I’d swear you were trying to hide from me.”  

     This time, Adam couldn’t stop the low growl that emanated from his chest.  This female was interrupting him yet again when he was trying to get to his mate.  “Not now Blake, I’m busy.”

     Blake stepped in front of him, placing both of her hands on his chest.  A mischievous smile titillated at the corners of her lips.  “You look so tense Adam.”

     “Blake, I said not now!” he snarled, trying to back away from her.  

     She refused to relent.  She walked him backwards until his back met the wall.  “Maybe this will help.”  

     Before he saw it coming, she had already reacted.  She pressed her lithe body up against his, making sure that they touched at every point possible and then covered his lips with hers, giving him no room for quarter.    

     Adam stiffened in shock and opened his mouth to protest only to have her shove her tongue in his mouth.  Reaching down between them, she cupped his sex.  He had been swollen since last night, ready to take his mate and now this female was stroking him.  “I want you,” she whispered boldly against his lips.

     Adam grabbed her by the shoulders and all but threw her away from  him.  His eyes flashed and he felt the tips of his canines breaking through his gums.  “Get this through your head woman.  I don’t want you and if you ever-” he had to stop and suck in a ragged breath in order to suppress his wolf before some unknowing human got an eyeful of something they didn’t need to see. “If you ever,” he started again, lowering his voice to a menacing decibel. “Touch me like that again, I'll break your fucking hand.”

     He glared hard at her for a minute and Blake glared right back.  Her chest moved rapidly and he could see that she was pissed but he didn’t care.  He got his point across and that was his intention.  Pushing past her, he roughly bumped her shoulder and headed straight for his locker.

     He was going to have claim Dava soon or may the Moon Goddess help him- he didn’t know what would happen.  He was rapidly losing control and he knew it.  At this point, only his mate and the completion of their bond had the power to help him.