22

Wanna hangout later?

I smile down at my phone, but look back up and meet those green eyes. I nod, and watch as her lips curl into a smile. She looks back to dad, whose talking about todays performers.

"I'll tell ya, you guys were the best ones out there." He points his fork at all of us.

"You really were!" Mom grins. "My friends have been texting me non stop after you boys played." She smiles at all of us, but stops when she looks at Josh. "Josh, what's wrong honey?" He hasn't touched his food. He's just been pushing around the pieces, staring out into space, deep in thought.

"Hm?" He looks up at her. "Oh. It's nothing." He glances at Bailey, but then looks down at his plate. "Im just not hungry is all." He smiles at mom, but I can tell that it's not the truth. He leaves the table, and mom looks at me.

"I dunno." I shake my head. I feel baileys hand squeeze my knee, and I let my hand cover hers. "Excuse me." I slide away from the table, and follow Josh.

Walking into the garage, I see him just sitting there.

"Hey man." I wave at him. "Can I?" I point the empty spot next to him.

"Sure." He grumbles.

"What's up?" I have no idea why he's upset. He seemed fine earlier. Maybe it's because I wasn't interested in Kat.

"I feel like bailey is hiding something from me." He looks at me. "Why wouldn't she tell me if she was seeing someone." Shit. I sigh, thinking about what to say.

"I dunno man. Maybe she's just waiting for the right time." I awkwardly smile at him.

"But we tell each other everything. We always have. I don't know why she wouldn't talk to me about this." He shakes his head, running his fingers through his hair.

"Just give it some time. Maybe it's still new?" I answer. I wasn't completely wrong, I was just lying to him. I hate lying, especially, to Josh. But I can't tell him anything yet.

"Maybe your right. I should just give her some space." He sighs. "Thanks man." He softly smiles over at me, which I return.

"No problem." He gets up and leaves. As he does I hear soft words.

"Hey." Josh mumbles.

"Hi." Bailey whispers back.

"You played really good today." He chuckles.

"Thanks. You guys did too." She answers. I can hear the smile in her voice. My heart starts to speed up when she walks into the room. She closes the door behind her, then prances over and sits next to me.

"Hi stranger." I smirk at her.

"Howdy." She grins.

"What we're you wanting to do tonight?" I ask.

"I heard it's gonna be a clear night, so I was wanting to go look at some stars." She starts to hug herself, feeling insecure about what she wants to do. I just sit there in awe. She wants to look at stars. Adorable. "What?" She giggles, hitting my chest.

"Nothing." I laugh back. "We can go look at stars." I smile at her.

"Okay." She whispers.

"Okay." I whisper back.

We hear foot steps near the door, and I jump up and walk over to my guitar. Sam and Danny bust through, laughing.

"Well. What's going on here?" Danny smirks.

"You guys wrappin before your tappin?" Sam, thinking he's the funniest shit around, breaks out into a wheeze and nearly falls to the floor.

"Not funny guys." I snap.

"Woah. We're just teasing." Sam holds his hands up in defense.

"Well. It was rude. Apologize." I cross my arms.

"Sorry Jake." Danny mumbles.

"Not to me, to her." I point over at Bailey, her face redder than a tomato.

"Oh shit." Sam mutters under his breath. "Sorry bales."

"It's okay Sam." She softly smiles, but it doesn't match the rest of her. I can tell she's embarrassed.

"Hey." I walk over to her, grabbing her hand. "Why don't we head out." I smile.

"Okay." Her face lightens up a little, and she gets up. She starts to walk past Sam, but punches him in the chest.

"Oof!" He drops to his knees.

"That's for making fun of me and Jake." She sneers. She looks at Danny, who takes a step back. She turns around and looks at me.

"Damn." I whisper. "She got you good Sammy." I laugh. I step over him and follow her outside.

"Take my car?" She asks.

"Sure." I nod. We climb in and I quickly realize, this is definitely baileys car. Her little VW bug has flowers and vines tacked to the ceiling of her car, and old style hippie seat covers. Coconut air fresheners, and a little potted plant hang from her mirror. I look at the back seat, seeing it was full of sketch books and blankets, along with her guitar.

"Don't like it?" She asks.

"Nope." I answer. She turns to me with a confused look on her face. "I love it." I beam at her.

"Is that so?" She laughs.

"It's got a lot of character. It's fun." I laugh back.

"Want some music?" She asks.

"Sure." I answer. She pulls out a Bee Gees CD, and sets it in the player. "Bee Gees?" I look over at her.

"Shhh! I gotta get into character." She takes a deep breath and starts dancing in her seat.

"What are you doing?" I laugh.

"Staying alive!" She yells. I shake my head, but can't look away as she sings and dances along.

She belongs on a disco dance floor. I can picture it now, her in the 60's, bell bottoms, flowing sleeves, hair swooped out, singing and dancing, keeping up with the pros. That's one of the many things I love about her. She doesn't care that's she's an old soul. She knows it, and she wants everyone else to know too. Always dressing like it's the 70's, using old slang like groovy and right on. She knows more old music than I thought anyone else but our family would. I don't know where she gets it from. Her parents are nothing like her, or that she's nothing like her parents. I just sit and watch, a smile stuck on my stupid face, as she sings and dances to every song that turns on.