9

I slept on the couch, and it was not that comfortable. I roll over and the light shines through the windows right into my eyes. I just lay there basking in the sun, letting the peaceful moment soak. No one else was up, the  house quiet, the birds filling the silence. I sigh, and my door squeaks open. I lift my eyes and see Bailey poking through the door. "Good morning." I grunt. She opens the door and stands outside my room. Nothing but my sweater covering her. I sit all the way up. It falls to mid thigh, the sleeves are way to long, and it hides her frame. I look up at her face and she's looking outside the windows. I turn to try and see what she's looking at, but I don't see anything there.

"It's pretty." She whispers with a soft smile curling her lips.

"Yeah." I smirk and look down.

"I'm gonna go for a walk." She walks to the door and opens it. She steps outside and walks a few steps before she turns her face to the sun. And I just watch her. Her red hair shining, her smile growing, and her bare feet poking out of the grass. I stand up and walk to the door and step out. She turns to me, and smiles. She starts walking, and I follow her.

I let her lead me to a open spot in the woods, and she sits down on a log. She turns her head to me and pats next to her. I sit.

"I want to say thank you." She looks at my face. "I would have been.." she looks down.

"Don't cry." I lean my face even with hers.

"I'm not trying to. But I was so scared." She lifts her head and tears are falling from her face. She takes the back of the sleeve and wipes them away. "You saved me." She looks me in the eye, and I feel her words hit my heart. "Thank you." I swallow, feeling my own tears start to form.

"Your welcome." I nod to her. She smiles and stands up. She holds out her hand. "What?"

"Stand up." I stand up, and give her my hand, which she pulls close to her. I start to pull back but she wipes my hand with peroxide.

"Fuck!" I yell. She giggles. She wipes it away and wraps my hand with gauze.

"Now I don't have to worry about your hand falling off from infection." She grins and i roll my eyes.

"Whatever." I turn and start walking away. She runs and catches up to me, and we just walk. Our strides matching, and our hands and arms hit each other a few times. I feel my face get red. She is one stubborn kid. Always taking care of people around her. And look down at my hand and I smile. She wrapped it well.

"I wrapped it so you could still play. Though, your hand is going to hurt from the swelling." She says. I look over at her and smile.

"Thank you." She nods and we finish our walk to the house. When we walk in I smell bacon and eggs. We dash upstairs and into the kitchen. Everyone is sitting around eating, and they all turn and look at us.

"Where we're you two?" Dad asks.

"Uhm." I rub the back of my neck.

"I helped Jakes hand." Bailey answers. I lift my bandaged hand.

"What happened?!" Mom yells. She shoots up from her chair and shuffled to me.

"I'm fine mom." I chuckle.

"What did you do?" She looks at me. I peek over at Josh and he shakes his head. She would kill us if she knew.

"I punched a tree." I awkwardly grin.

"A tree?" Sam smirks. "What did this tree do to you?" Ronnie and Sam giggle.

"Nothing. I just got mad and I punched a tree." I look back at mom. She nods, but I can tell she doesn't believe me.

"Well. You two go get some breakfast." She nods to me and Bailey, and we go pile food onto our plates. We sit down at the table across from one another and I stretch out my legs. I feel baileys feet under mine and I look over at her. She looks at me pissed, and pulls her feet away. I smirk, proud that I found another thing that pisses her off.

"Hey, you two going?" Josh asks.

"Hm?" I hum looking at him.

"Where?" Bailey asks.

"The lake?" Sam answers. "We talked about this a few weeks ago." I nod. I peek my eyes at Bailey.

"Yeah I'm down." She answers.

"Me too." I say sitting up.

"Alrighty. Well we leave a little after breakfast." Josh looks at me and shoots me a glance. I shake my head and finish eating.

Lake day... Swimming... Swim suits...Bailey...Bailey in swim suit..... shitttt....