Chapter 49: Motives

The refreshments in the garden were interesting. It started with the Prince and Princess deciding to carry the children along for introductions. So they were dressed and readied in less than an hour, which is a record, including Mary having fed Gillian. Charles, who is exceedingly pleased with his little girl, held the newest addition, while his wife and Lady Agnes wrangled the twins. That is no small feat considering they are into anything and everything lately. Sweet Elizabeth elected to stay with Dot, as she loves her Aunt Dot. With these arrangements, everything should be alright.

When the family entered the gardens, the King once again snubbed his youngest daughter and granddaughter. Instead favoring the twins, who had slithered out of the grasp of their caretakers. They ran over to His Majesty and hugged his legs, which made him boom with laughter. He picked them up and elected to not put them down, much to the consternation of their mother. Her father fawned over the boys, again showing them off like they were the crown jewels of England. Which she supposes they are since he doesn't have a son of his own... yet. 

As he showed the twins off, the Queen stood stoically by his side. She wore a cheery enough expression, but if a person looks deeper they can see an air of frustration written there. Every time the King talks about his grandsons, and how he just knows "This new baby will be a boy. The Queen and I have faith that will be", her face grew pale. Mary had taken to watching Her Majesty's reactions and she knew the meek woman was nervous about the baby she carries.

But, as horrible as it sounds, Mary doesn't care. As she shared with Lady Flora and Paisley, "She got herself into this position. So, now she'll have to bear that burden herself. I do not wish the position of my father's Queen on any woman. This makes me harken back to something you said earlier, Countess. Just how meek, mild, and humble is Jane Seymour to have gotten herself into the title of Queen? No. No. She still played the game, she only played it differently than the previous Queen did." 

Those are her thoughts on the matter. Thank the Lord she, herself, doesn't have to worry about that or have that kind of pressure on her shoulders. Instead, she's married to the King's best friend, her very own Prince. As she inspected him, holding Gillian, her eyes saw him staring hard at the Prince of France. It made her wonder what he was on about. As she turned her pretty head to look, she noticed the blonde prince's eyes were looking at her. Oh, bother...

Not caring to get involved in this masculine show of display, she wandered over to speak with Dot and Paisley. Her blonde friend spoke with hushed tones. "Apparently you have a new admirer."

With a sigh, Mary stated "Apparently I do. The hostility coming from my husband is palpable. I don't know why he lets it bother him so."

Holding a cup of tea, Paisley decided to weigh in. "Do you not? Because you also have the eyes of the Duke of Somerset as well."

Ever so discreetly, Mary inclined her head in the direction of the Duke. Sure enough, he arched his eyebrows and gave a small wave. Whipping her head around, she shook it. "Oh, dear. Charles will be fit to be tied. He knows he has nothing to worry about. I just don't understand his positioning. He gets so agitated with Edward Seymour and now the Prince of France."

Her dear friend declared "Mary he loves you is all. I'm sure he feels a little threatened by them. I mean, he may be handsome, but your husband wasn't born into his position like they were. He may think you deserve someone like them, whose position isn't subject to the whims of the King. He may still feel a bit self-conscious." Dot saw her own husband walk over to his friend, the Prince, and the man relaxed his shoulders a bit. 

It's true he does. The Princess knows this. Her husband is still dealing with the fallout of the northern rebellion, and how it weighed heavy on his heart and mind. He's getting better, but Rome wasn't built in a day. So, yes. She understands how Charles feels, she's felt the same way herself. And it seems that whenever you're already feeling low, other things can aggravate it and make it fester.