Chapter 6: Changes

Determined to follow her husband's advice, Mary gathered her strength and wore it like a valuable necklace strung around her neck. The day Charles left, she was in a pitiful state, crying as soon as the carriage was well out of sight. Lady Agnes, Dot, and Joan (the red-haired maid) were gracious in consoling her.

To most ladies of nobility, it would have been odd to have three ladies below her station giving comfort. However, it doesn't matter to Mary because those things don't bother her. Perhaps she would have cared more if she had not been cast aside and locked up in her prison--- treated as an actual royal princess should be. But people are people, and companions are companions no matter who they are.

Admittedly she does not have an interest in Lady Catherine Willoughby. The Duchess has cared not for the girl from the moment her blue eyes saw the waif of a thing. The coquettish lady has romantic notions toward the Duke, which is evident by Catherine's noxious mannerisms and her tendency to act sillier than usual whenever he's near. It grates on Mary's nerves.

Plus, the girl is frivolous and gossipy, which are other things that annoy Her Grace. She hates gossip because it's hardly ever worth repeating and because she has been on the receiving end of it over the years. So the Duchess tries her hardest to steer clear of Lady Catherine, preferring to stick close to Dot, Lady Agnes, and Joan.

And while she despises Catherine, Mary feels absolutely terrible for how she has treated Lady Dorothy Grosvenor. She has taken great pains to mend that friendship, starting with a humble apology. Thankfully Lady Dot accepted her back into her good graces, along with the bearing of secrets she has learned about the town of Suffolk. Dot has been the Duchess's most faithful companion since childhood. Her mother served in Queen Catherine's retinue, which allowed Dot to become acquainted with Princess Mary.

As the Princess's companion Dot studied academics alongside her and became one of the top ladies in wait. Somewhere in time, during the years at Ludlow, Mary became more withdrawn and hesitant, much less the free spirit from girlhood. This lack of confidence and gloominess made the Princess unsure of friends, never knowing who to trust or not. Most of her ladies, whom she considered friends, left after the reduction of income and estate (thanks to her father). They took leave to serve elsewhere with more affluent noble ladies of the English Court. Only Lady Dot and Lady Marge stayed. Now from a team of almost fifteen, only Dot remains.

On the fourth day of moping, Lady Agnes suggested the Duchess go into town. "My Lady Mary, you would like the town of Suffolk. It is full of outstanding enterprise. Plus, there is a fabric store filled with fine materials of every color. We still have not attended to the curtains. With His Grace away, now would be the perfect time to accomplish that task." Agnes knows Her Ladyship is heartsick for her husband. The more she gets to know Lady Mary, the more she believes the woman is an answer to past prayers. And that roguish imp she helped raise has finally fallen in love (anyone can see it on his face). Lady Agnes praises God for that too.

The Duchess tried to put a smile on her face and let her words be cheerful. "You are right, as usual. It's time I stopped being silly and did something productive with myself."

She turned to her friend and asked, "Lady Dot, would you fancy a trip into town?"

Dot's face brightened, and the blonde bubbled over at the chance for them to explore this new area. "Yes! We should go," she stated with enthusiasm.

The two ladies readied themselves and waited for the carriage, which took them into the bustling town of Ipswich. The city is booming with life. London may be the heart of the country and full of lively shops, but Ipswich has a vitality of its own--- a gentler, kinder life. Many booths and shops were set up, hosting fine craftsmanship and, of course, baked goods.