Chapter 44: Beginnings

Time flies, which is true. Through time the pain of Catherine's death lessened. Time also rushed forward with its warrior called patience from the passage of death to the journey of birth. With birth came new beginnings. Sometimes the most important part of the journey is the new beginning. The start of something new brings about hopes of greatness surrounded by a sea of possibilities. 

So it was with the marriage of Lady Dot and Sir Anthony.  Mary's close friend had long since asked if she could have her wedding at Hapus House. "I love it here. Everything is beautiful, more so than my childhood home." How could the Princess refuse? She couldn't because she wanted her friend's wedding to be held there. She agrees with Dot. Hapus is a perfect location for festivals and feasts and celebrations of all kinds.

That is how the wedding celebration came to be held at the Brandon's "mini palace", as His Lordship is often caught saying. It was a splendid affair. Dot's parents Richard and Catherine Grosvenor, along with their fifteen children, arrived two days prior to the wedding. Sir Anthony's parents Edmund and Eleanor Knivert came shortly after, along with their five children. Then other guests, who are staying at the house, showed up. Suffice it to say, Charles and Mary had a house full of people ready to wish the happy couple well. 

In an ironic turn of events, His Highness did not like it. Usually, he's very sociable and jolly, but oddly he became taciturn. However, with it being so close to Christmas, he felt that "These people are going to eat us out of house and home. Then what will be left for our Christmas Eve Feast and our own holiday meal? Plus who knows what manner of sickness they are all bringing with them, especially all the kids." At present, he's very protective of his own children and pregnant wife.

Mary let him know that he was to act no other way than that of a gracious host. "The wedding is only two days away now. Put a smile on your face and take the men hunting tomorrow." Which he did. He led all of the men into the backstretch of land where he's found the hunting plentiful. They caught more than enough meat to supply the Christmas Eve Feast and well into the new year. He was the most gracious host to have ever been a gracious host— mainly because he did not want his wife's pregnancy hormones turned on him.

The wedding itself went off without a hitch. In another ironic turn of events, Mary played lady in waiting to her friend. She helped Dot with everything from securing the flowers to making sure Mrs. Evans had all of the food ready for the marriage feast. At the Cardiff chapel, the vows were exchanged. During the ceremony Dot and Anthony read their custom-written wedding poems. There was not a dry eye in the chapel, amongst all the ladies. Charles whispered to his wife, "You put them up to this poem nonsense didn't you?" She only smirked in response.

After the ceremony, came the wedding procession where Dot couldn't wait to show off her beautiful blue wedding gown. Lady Lillian made it special for her. The procession was elaborate with all of the carriages adorned in fancy embellishments for the occasion. It started at the chapel and ended at Hapus House. The whole community turned out to share in celebrating the happy couple. But really most of them were lined up to see the Prince and Princess of Wales. In honor of their friend's marriage, Charles gave Mary a big money pouch. With it, she was able to throw coins out to the crowd. It was very rewarding for her, especially since she didn't get to do so at their own wedding.

Feasting and dancing followed the procession. Instead of several days' worth of revelry, as was the custom, there was only one day. This being everyone wanted to be at their own homes to observe Christmas. So in light of this, there was only a fifteen-course meal and not as much dancing. It was gracious plenty, according to Dot. The food tasted divine, and everyone enjoyed themselves— even the grumpy host.

The very next day, saw all of the guests leave including the newly married couple. It was very difficult for Mary to say goodbye to her close friend, as it was the same for Dot. "This is not goodbye. It's just an extended leave of absence," Dot explained. She was trying not to cry and doing a horrible job of it.