Chapter 16: Opportunity

The newly minted Grand Duke and Duchess returned home to Suffolk. When they felt safe to talk on the trip, they discussed the new turn of events. It all happened so fast and was so very unexpected. Since they're both so surprised, it's hard to describe exactly how they feel about it.

There are both good and bad things about this outcome. One significant consequence is the Duchy of Suffolk is now aligned with the territory of Wales. Since the king is the sovereign ruler of Wales, Henry made it clear during morning talks that Charles's duty would be to administer governance over this territory as well. It threw the Grand Duke for a loop.

His Majesty had stated, "I haven't the time to properly invest in the Wales region. I am much too busy ruling the kingdom at large. Until I have a son, which I will with Ann, you will rule the day-to-day nonsense. You and Mary have proven yourselves capable of doing so. You will receive the royal governing documents bi-weekly regarding the Wales estate."

So matters of Wales now fall to him. That provides more opportunity for his own duchy. In a roundabout way, this also restores his wife her old title of address, Her Royal Highness of Wales. It also allows Mary the rights and properties traditionally given to the Prince of Wales, including using the official seal for correspondence. It seems like a small thing, an official seal, but it's a big deal to a girl who's had it stripped from her.

The King also declared, "My daughter is not a princess, but a duchess--- a Grand Duchess. The Grand Duchess of Wales. And mind you, she is still at the bottom in the order of succession."

How kind Charles had wanted to express that thought with sarcasm. But he knew better and stayed silent. Instead, he thanked His Majesty and let him know, "We will honorably govern the territory."

Then King Henry explained, "I know. That's why I gave it to you. In Wales, I have a stately manor home. It was given to my mother. I have never used it, nor do I have any need to. It's yours to use when you need to travel there."

Then the man paused and had a peculiar expression on his face. It was a moment before he said, "I think I'll give you the property outright. Consider it a late dowry."

This time Charles thanked his father-in-law, not the king. After that, the two men talked about more matters of Wales, and the Grand Duke was given the Wales documents. Another thing given to them was the allotment of additional guards. The king saw fit to update their protection now that they are "grand." This is wonderful because now Charles can assign more men to Mary's security detail. It takes an extra burden off his mind.

With a sigh of irritation, the Grand Duke rested his head back on the seat. Mary rested her hand on his. They laced their fingers together.

"Whatever happens, we will govern justly. We won't fear either the future or failure. Even great attempts are considered worthy if we at least try to serve with honor and dignity," she told him.

Looking at her, he agreed. "True. But our plates just got a little more full. We're going to have to split our time up also. Our lives have become busier." And it did.

Letters came pouring in from Wales by the dozens. It seemed word got out that there was a new regional ruler. Day after day, more mail seemed to arrive by basket fulls. Charles had to have Mary help him respond to them due to the overwhelming nature of the correspondence. If he tried to do it himself, the first batch of letters wouldn't be completed until Christmas. His wife assisted him in organizing a system. With the help of two well-read and trusted servants, the mail became separated into piles. The piles are labeled crucial response, casual response, and delayed response.