Chapter 36: Unpredictable

The Grand Duke plowed his anger and energy into keeping busy. He smiled and acted as he should with his mask of falsity on. Like the master chessman he is, Charles shook hands with the Devil's father and uncle. He listened to boring statesmen and gave an audience to those who required his presence. Remaining focused on eventual outcomes, he made moves out of moves where there shouldn't be any.

He hates this court, hates what it has turned into. It's chaotic, cutthroat, and much too carnal for either his concern or family. Three things he could care less about now. The court takes the shape of those at the head of it, the King and the Queen. So it's no surprise those invited to dine and sup and break bread with the two royals are also chaotic, cutthroat, and carnal. 

In fact, one night after dinner, where dancing and revelry had begun, the Earl of Surrey (Henry Howard) mentioned "You seem morose tonight amid all the happy festivity. Many a lady has made eyes at you in hopes of a dance. Your wife is not here. She wouldn't have to know. Besides many married men do so." He raised an eyebrow in question as if trying to goad the Duke into the works of carnality.

Having taken a sip of ale, Charles washed it down in irritation. Why is it so hard for people to believe he only wants his wife? They've been married for two years now and have established themselves as content and satisfied— more than satisfied. "I am morose. It's because I miss my wife. It's incredible how one day someone enters your life and you cannot for the life of you remember how you ever lived without them. I have no need for any woman outside my own lady love." He took another sip of ale as the Earl bid him a good evening.

As his eyes scanned around the room he noticed just how truly debouched the court is. He just never took the time to glimpse it before, but now he does. Several married men were dancing with attractive unmarried ladies. Others could be seen huddled in dark corners with women on their laps, kissing. He knew more things were happening behind closed doors, as he had been one of those men. Those days are over as are those feelings of drowning himself in wine and women. Why would he choose that lifestyle when the best feeling in the world is loving someone who loves you just as much?

Seeing all of this self-indulging lust, made him regard his darling duchess all the more. These women here and his wife could not be more different. She was worried about wearing sleeveless dresses telling him she would not be improper and show a lot of skin. It makes him smile at her sweetness and desire to maintain superior character. It only makes him respect her more too.

The irony is not lost on the fact that these women, though they might not be sleeveless, bare more flesh in ways that his Mary would ever dream of. But this is the difference between a trollop and a woman of good character. No matter how many jewels drape around the neck, the wrist, and the hair a slag is always a slag. The real ornaments of a woman are her beautiful heart and virtue, her kindness and character. These are contributions to beauty. 

He tarried a little longer at this revel and then retired to his rooms. The following day he met with the King. His assumption that His Majesty wanted to talk about the Queen was correct. The discussion began while the two broke their fast. 

Just taken a bite of eggs, Charles chewed while Henry spoke. "I fear the worst has come. I've been hearing rumors of the Queen's flirtatious behavior. What do you know of this?"

If he wanted he could lie. He could tell the King anything for his hatred of The Whore runs deep. Knowing she, and her ilk, were behind the plot on his life and the continual harassment of his wife he should do so. But then he remembers telling his sweetheart not to lie to him about going to the doctor. So in a moment of truth, he told his friend what he knows. 

"I have been away from court since May. I cannot speak on current hearsay. However, there are one, nay two, things that I can speak of. The first is, she has long been suspected of promiscuity with Thomas Wyatt. The other is that she, and her maids, were whoring themselves out in the French court." What he did not say was in the same manner as the ladies in your court do.