Chapter 37: Sisters

The Tuesday morning, after Charles made a mad dash home, saw he and his wife alone in the study. He's heard a few older, wiser individuals say "In times of difficulty, joy is the elixir of life." This he knows must be true because it's how he feels at this very moment. The time they entered the study, and he sat in his stately chair situated behind the desk, an exceedingly pleasant measure of joy was found. 

Mainly due to the love of his life, who sat herself in his lap as she is known to do. Her presence alone has already helped to burn out the pain of worry in his heart and mind. But it was her words that gave his heart wings and the courage needed to speak of hard things, difficult things. It's like a balm to his soul.

It started when he asked her a simple question. "Did you go to see Doctor Pearce? Are you alright?"

Throwing her slender arms about his neck, she placed a kiss on the corner of his mouth, before a peck was given to his lips. "I did go. Dot went with me. As for being alright, he says I will be fine in nine months." She waited for her words to take root and grow.

Her words did not settle as she had hoped. Feeling alarmed at that statement, he declared with broad emotion "Nine months! You won't be well for nine months? What kind of sickness do you have? You aren't going to die are you?" His hands held her a little tighter.

In the midst of his worry, she laughed. When she saw his annoyance she tried to calm down, but it's hard to calm down when there's so much happiness in her spirit. "Oh, Charles! I do love you. I have the type of sickness that comes in the mornings and leaves by the afternoon. It's called the mother's sickness and you can only get rid of it when the baby is born. There's no dying today, but there are risks in childbirth." She waited again for his reaction.

His heart skipped a beat and all of sudden he became compelled to nuzzle her neck with his nose. "A baby" was all he said. It was the way he said those two words that left his wife incandescent. He spoke with so much love that it was blinding and beautiful.

As he nuzzled her neck, he stated his long-spoken desire again. "I hope it's a girl. I want something soft and sweet and stubborn, like her Mama." Just as Mary went to protest, he cut her off with a kiss. But his kiss was different somehow. It was like the kiss of a troubled person who is besieged by something fierce.

Breaking their kiss, she put her hand on the side of his face and caressed his jaw and cheek. "Something is bothering you. I can tell. Are you worried about the baby and me? We're fine. Doctor Pearce gave me a tincture of herbal medicine that has helped with the morning sickness."

In return, he caressed her other hand. He loves holding it and playing with her fingers. Her hand fits perfectly in his own as if it were made to be there. He has long thought that too, the first time they held hands at Westhrope Hall. "No. I'm not so much concerned about the pregnancy. I say that knowing I most likely will be as time draws nearer for the birth. It's something else altogether different. I have some things to discuss with you. Important things."

Knowing that he's just come from the palace with her father, this cannot be good news. Letting out her breath slowly, she tried to reassure him by saying "Whatever it is we'll get through it together." They can tackle any problem as long as they are unified, together.

Upon kissing her forehead, he stood up with her holding onto him. He walked over to the couch and arranged them into a comfortable position. Then he settled down to tell her about all of the events taking place. "When I dined with your father I learned of some shocking news. No, that's not quite right. Some completely astounding news. First of all, he has written a law declaring you to be back in the line of succession, along with any heirs we may have. You and I already knew this, so it's not anything new. But he was announcing it to the court after I left. How do you feel about that?"