Chapter 24: Destiny

The feast for Princess Elizabeth is not nearly as grand as the one held for his wife. Charles remembers the banquet for then Princess Mary's birth. He doesn't care to dwell on it for too long, as it shows his age. It was spectacular and a substantial grandiose affair. It lasted for three weeks. The bells rang every hour on the hour for one whole day, on the order of King Henry. The heralds went to every estate and village proclaiming her birth. The kingdom's people delivered flowers, food baskets, and other fine things to the palace because England had an heir... Princess Mary.

Poor Princess Elizabeth, by contrast, did not have bells all day long. They rang out only once, and that was to alert everyone of the birth. The heralds did not go to every estate and village either. They only announced it in London square. The people did not send gifts, and the feast was paltry. It was still lavish but not as joyous. Mainly because His Majesty is without joy himself.

Though he wears a smile on his face, Charles knows it's his fake one. He has known his friend for ages and learned all of the King's moods. This, to be sure, is artificial and devoid of any genuine emotion. Which is sad but not surprising. And a part of the Duke is happy about it.

It's terrible to be happy the King is miserable, but he cannot help feeling that way. The way Henry has treated his Mary is reprehensible. So part of him wants to say, "You get the misery you give." Part of him is also happy because the Boleyns are knocked down a peg, especially the Vicious Queen. Who, by the way, does not look as joyful as before either.

But then the other part of him, the part that has grown up, cannot help but feel sorry for the new princess. It's not the babe's fault she is a girl. And unfortunately, he knows all too well what kind of future awaits her. The same as his own wife. The same treatment will befall Elizabeth as it had Mary. The father in him cringes.

Which reminds him, he needs to pack because he is leaving tomorrow. Not a moment too soon, actually. When the Queen turned to speak to Henry and himself, a fit of cold anger washed over Charles. The blackened words that left her mouth are, "The new Princess requires servants and maids for her own house. Don't you think, My Love, that the Grand Duchess would be a good choice for one of her ladies in wait? It would teach her her place."

Before Henry could speak, Charles did. "I think that in my wife's particular condition, it would not serve anyone well, especially a princess, for her to be a lady in wait." There is absolutely no way that he will let his sweetheart go off to be a lady in wait for this monster's child— princess or no princess.

The Queen wore a frown, and her eyes were like glass. But Henry cut her off and asked, "What is wrong with my daughter?"

As if he cared, but Charles responded all the same. "Well, Majesty, she is in her own confinement. She is expecting and should be delivered early next month. It's also why I need to leave on the morrow and return to Wales. There's a possibility the birth could come sooner than expected." There is also no way he is sharing they're having twins.

At the news, the King actually became sincere. His fake smile fell for a real one. "We are to be a grandfather then?" The Duke nodded his head. Then Henry expressed his delight. "Oh ho! This is great news! A grandchild!"

Cutting in on his joy, Her Majesty remarked, "I still think after she gives birth, she can be sent to Hatfield."

Before the King turned his head to look at his wife, Charles noticed a storm brewing in his friend's eyes. "Madam, you overspeak. I will allow it this time and chalk it up to having birthed a babe. Her Highness, the Grand Duchess, is to deliver her own child. She cannot be a lady in wait; even if she could, she will not. That is below her station."