Chapter 43: Death

In the darkness, the Prince and Princess woke up early. While Joan helped Mary, Charles (who had already dressed) went downstairs to make sure the guards and the carriage are ready. Not giving a care about what she wears, Mary had Joan get a simple, flowing, printed dress out of the wardrobe. This is laughable because none of her dresses are just "simple". Even the silkened overcoat is not simple, as it has a similar printed design on the white fabric. 

She wore her hair down and pocketed two handkerchiefs. That's another thing she likes about this dress, it has pockets. Having hired Lady Lillian as her personal dressmaker, she had long since asked the lady for pockets in most of her dresses. The twins are always giving her all manner of things to hold, and pockets are an essential luxury.

Once downstairs, she met her husband in the landing area. Lady Enid gave her a basket of breakfast, and other snacks, for the road. They were wished well and then they departed. The first part of the trip was quiet. There wasn't much Mary really wanted to say because she cries every time she thinks about her mother. But as they neared Kimbolton Castle, the more she started talking.

Mary wondered several things. "I hope we're not too late. I just... I have to be able to say goodbye. Although how do you let go of your mother? How do you let go and say goodbye to the woman who gave you life and raised you?" 

With one arm holding his wife, and his right hand holding her hand, Charles responded. "I don't know. I wasn't able to see my mother like you're able to. My own mother died during childbirth. I remember her being pregnant with my sister. It was a hard labor that ended with both of them dead. I was, I think, seven perhaps. I cried a lot. My father grew depressed. He wasn't ever the same man as before."

"Oh, that's a very sad story," she told him. Snuggling into his embrace for the remainder of the trip, she thought about his mother. His story reminds her that she has a lot to be thankful for. At least she gets to say goodbye to her own. Many people, like Charles, don't get to say goodbye. 

The sun started to rise and the nighttime went back to sleep. There is that moment, that one moment, in every dawn where the light floats. The sky is painted brilliant pinkish-blue hues. It's bathed in beauty and promise. It's as if God reached down and kissed the earth. A million different miracles have begun with this awakening of the day. Even though her mind is troubled, her heart felt better— hopeful even, renewed, warm. 

Her eyes kept watching on the horizon. The sun came up fully, in all its shining glory. Kimbolton Castle appeared and it's situated, striking, on a large grassy plot. She's sure in Springtime it looks wonderful, for now, the grass is all browning. In fact, she can visualize it in her mind. As the carriage passed by an impressive, scenic lake, with the castle just behind it, Mary thought it pretty as a picture. She wishes they were here under better circumstances.

The closer to the entrance the carriage got, the tighter she held onto Charles's hand. When they stopped, he got out and went around to help her down. On the ground, her eyes took in the estate surrounding the castle. It's adequately maintained. As a lone footman came out to escort them inside, the sad reality started to take shape.

Her mother, one of the Queens of England, was sent here without any help. There's only one footman, a maid, a cook, and two ladies in waiting. She's basically living the same existence Mary had lived in Ludlow— banished without any support or aid. And it's really troubling. In fact, it makes her very angry at her father. How could he do this to a woman who was Queen, a woman who is still an Infanta of Spain? If anything made her sick it's his aiding it along with zero assistance. 

The footman took them up the stairs and to the Dowager Queen's chambers. Before they entered, Charles reminded her "There's no telling what she will look like. Don't let that deter you. Be strong for her sake and the baby's sake." She nodded and they went inside.