Chapter 35: Sweet Thing

It was June and the world became colored with poppies and foxgloves. The golden threads of sunshine emboldened every detail of the scene. By Mid-June the Brandon family went home to Cardiff. They said goodbye to their extravagant castle and all of the staff who work there. Then they traveled back to Hapus House. Although the Duke promised his wife "I think the castle will serve us nicely. Being only half a day's journey away, the two of us can visit for alone time." He flashed his roguish smile that shows off his pearly white teeth. Of course, her husband would only be thinking of that, but then she cannot help but grin at the thought too.

Mary loves summer. She loves spring and the beginnings of new life in the world again. She loves fall draped in the beautiful splendor of foliage and cozy days by the fireside. She loves winter and the first snow of the season, so pure, so white, so forgiving. But she LOVES summer most of all. Everything good and right and sweet and magical happens in the summer. The days are longer. The stars seem to sparkle just a little bit brighter. The water, and weather, get warmer. And life— life gets sweeter. It's happy times and good sunshine. 

Last summer was a wash as she was heavily pregnant and miserable carrying the twins. This summer however she is going to live it up. With determination, she is going to do all the summer things she enjoys doing. Things like sitting on the back lawn, fanning herself, and sipping cold tea with sprigs of mint leaves. She's going to be one of those fancy ladies who lunch with their friends, cause she has friends now. Dot, Lady Flora, Lady Agnes, Joan, and even Doctor Pearce's wife Ina. 

Since it's much too hot out for sleeved dresses, she's also going to wear sleeveless dresses. Married women can do that. She's married. And she really, really wants to wear dresses without sleeves. Ever since May, when they took the holiday in Cardigan, she's been sneaking some into her daily outfits. When thinking about it, if she were still under her father's thumb it would cause a scandal to be sure. But here in Wales being married to Charles she can. Although she promised him "I will take pangs to not show too much skin. It wouldn't be proper." 

He only laughed and teased by saying "This coming from the woman who stripped and laid naked in the middle of the maze? Darling, you've now left proper in the dust." In response her blue eyes narrowed, her hair was tossed over her shoulder, and she stalked out of his study. Despite this, sleeveless dresses are on the summer menu. 

And speaking of menus... She's also going to pick blackberries and learn how to turn them into jelly, preserves, or whatever. Mrs. Evans told her she'd teach her. It should be fun, at least she thinks so. Dot however did the same as the Duke had done. She laughed and teased. "You?! You're going to learn how to make jelly? This I will have to see with my own eyes. Please let me know when you're having your lesson. I want to come to watch." She howled with laughter. The two of them can laugh it up and poke fun, but she will make jelly and wear perfectly proper sleeveless gowns. 

Another on the Duchess's summer to-do list harkens to her industrious nature. She will also find ways to bottle summer, meaning she's been itching to make new soaps and creams. A summer soap with summery scents like vanilla blackberry or raspberry bouquet. Idea after idea started flitting through her head regarding her hand creams and soap-making craft. So much so that parchment and ink were grabbed to write them down so they wouldn't vanish.

Finally, she is going to wander where the sun kisses the earth. To walk in nature is to witness hundreds of thousands of miracles happening. This is what she and the boys will do. They will wander the grounds of their estate, picking wildflowers, going on wildlife scavenger hunts, venture down to the beach and let William get his feet wet. They will do all sorts of cheerful things and not be shut up indoors all day long. 

Every part of summer was moving along at a splendid pace. Her sleeveless gowns were just the thing, as it was sweltering and sticky. Which is similar to her jelly lessons from Mrs. Evans. It was hot in the kitchens and she would always leave a sticky mess, along with pieces of her hair that would become wispy. Charles and Dot poked fun. She let them and when she allowed them to taste the jelly one morning they stopped laughing. The pride, and delight, on her husband's face, made her filled to the brim with joy.