Name: Roslyn - Species: Unknown 26

“Rose?” Mak lay me down on the bed. “What hurts?”

“Ankle,” I took a deep breath. “And I can’t see straight…”

“Okay,” he nodded. “Bear with me, this may hurt a little.”

I nodded. He moved down the bed and knelt at my ankle. I grasped the sheets like a lifeline when he touched my foot. Pain spiked through me again and I had to clench my jaw against a scream.

“Ok, I’m done,” he said, letting go. “It’s not broken, love, just a nasty sprain. You’ll be up and about in about a week.”

“What do I do till then?” I exclaimed. “They haven’t got crutches in Victorian times!”

“They might,” he shrugged. “But I plan to carry you.”

“You can’t be serious.”

“Yes I can.”

“No.”

“Yes.”

“No.”

“Yes.”

“You are not carrying me everywhere for a week!”

“I can and I will.”

A knock on the door cut off my reply. The man didn’t even bother waiting for a response before he marched straight into the room. This time, he had another man with him. This one I recognized. It was the man I saw Silver with at the lake… but he was younger, only around my age I’d guess. I finally got to see the color of his hair and eyes. His hair was a sandy, light blonde, eyes the warm brown of scotch.

“Rose?” Mak put a hand on my shoulder. “You’re staring.”

“Oh-” I looked away. “Sorry, you just look familiar.”

“Don’t worry,” he smiled at me.

“Don’t be so informal to strangers Kye,” the red head murmured harshly. What an arse…

“My apologies cousin,” Kye nodded.

“Now,” the older man turned towards us. “My name is Lord Sebastian Knightly, this is my manor, therefore I would like to know who you are and how you appeared here.”

“I’m-” I started, but Mak cut me off.

“Thomas and Mary Bridge,” Mak lied smoothly. “As for how we appeared here, neither of us have the faintest clue, so kindly let us leave and we will never bother either of you again.”

“I don’t think so,” Lord Seb dropped the formality. I almost wondered how we must be talking, probably in old English dialect, even though it seemed modern to us. I wonder if I could switch off the filter somehow…

“And why not?” Mak stood up.

“Because I am interested,” Seb shrugged. “Two strangers in odd clothing appearing out of thin air. This does not happen every day.”

I wanted to shift out of there so badly I nearly lost my temper. This guy was infuriating! He was selfish, arrogant, rude, he was making Mak look like an idiot! Ugh, scratch that last, I’m still not used to thinking about Mak like that. If I could have focused through the pain in my ankle, I would already have us out of here.

“We’re not side-show attractions,” I informed him politely. “So kindly sod off so I can sleep. My ankle hurts.”

“Excuse me?” his eyes slid to mine in pure astonished furry. I guess no one had ever talked to him like that before.