Name: Roslyn - Species: Unknown 23

I jerked back, jaw hanging, eyes wide sapphires. For a long moment all I could do was stare at him, then anger flooded me, forcing back the annoying little undertone of happiness.

"You have to stop doing that!"

"Or what?" he smirked, taking a step towards me.

"I'll zap with some sort of epic demon power," I crossed my arms, trying to look tough.

"'Epic demon power'?" he raised an eyebrow at my word choice.

"Yes."

"Do you even know how to work your power?"

"No."

He sighed, smiling in amusement.

"Hey!" a new thought hit me. "Do I have wings?!"

"I don't know," Malrik said from the door. I jumped ceiling high. "That is part of the reason I have brought you here Roslyn, to find out exactly how much of your parents you retained."

"Will that be painful and or dangerous?" I asked suspiciously. It probably wasn't a good idea to trust a demon, grandfather or not. For all I knew he could be lying... but then again how else could I explain my time traveling skills?

"No," he laughed, coming all the way into the room. "If you have wings and I command that you rise to power they will appear."

"Why?" I took a step back.

"Because," he sighed, my questions obviously irritating him. "If you are more demon then you will naturally obey the call and if you are more angel your wings will appear as a defense mechanism.

"Oh," I shook out my hands and cracked my neck. "Okay, go for it."

He smiled in amusement. I seem to be much more amusing than I think myself to be. Which is annoying. Malrik opened his mouth and I braced myself for something, I wasn't sure what for, but I was braced. He made a sound, a strange, inhuman sound that resonated through my entire body like I'd been hit with a live wire. Agony exploded in my back and I fell to my knees with a strangled cry.

It hurt. It hurt. It hurt. God it HURT! I felt like someone had sliced my back open and was picking it with tweezers. My entire body was trembling, tears cascaded down my cheeks and I had no idea what was going on around me. It was a long time before that agony lessened into a sting and I was able to look up.

Mak was kneeling in front of me, trying to get me to look at him. When I finally did look up, relief crowded his features, then he sat back a little, giving me space.

"What happened?" I murmured, my voice scratchy with pain.

"I think it's best you look in the mirror, love," Mak told me.

"I'm not your love," I responded immediately, but did what he said.

My entire body went ridged. Wings. I guess my grandfather wasn't lying to me. A pair of huge, feathered wings were sticking out of my back from the shoulder blades. The feathers were all white except the line on the edge on both sides; those feathers were black as night. And my eyes... God my eyes. They were black, as black as the end wings. It was terrifying. I wasn't me. I was... inhuman. This was the first time since hearing the news that I actually believed it.

"Interesting," Malrik nodded from behind me.

"You could say that," I murmured faintly.

"Is she awake yet?" a voice came from the door.

I saw my dark hair and face shape on a young man in the mirror. I've never been much of a fainter, but this was just too much. So I passed out, again.

There was a warm weight on my side. I twitched, trying to get whatever it was off. When it merely tightened, I realized that I was not alone. My eyes flew open to find myself tucked in Mak's arms. Lying on the bed. Surprise shot through me, sending me flailing backwards and away from him. He had taken advantage of my unconscious state to cuddle! He was just impossible.

"Nmmhmm," Mak rolled onto his stomach, still asleep.

He didn't even notice that I was gone... what an unperceptive idiot.

I slipped out of the bed, seeing that I was still in the white cotton dress. At least he hadn't changed me again. I was trying very hard not to think about why I had passed out... but the moment I saw the huge mirror I couldn't help but go over to it and turn around. Nothing. There were no scars on my back or anything, like nothing had happened. Then I leant in, looking into my huge blue eyes carefully. No sign of those black irises.

Good.

Gingerly, not wanting to wake up Mak, I snuck across the room and out the door. I might as well go explore. I didn't get two steps before a woman in a plain short black dress stopped me.

"Can I help you with something miss?" she asked politely.

"Uh-" I blanked, unsure how to react. No one had ever called me 'miss' before. Then I said the first thing that came to mind. "I'm looking for Malrik."

"His majesty is occupied at the moment," she told me happily. "However I have been told to bring you to his majesty Prince Craven if you wish."

The prince... that would be my father.

"Yes," I said quickly. "Yes please."

"This way miss," she inclined her head and started off down the hall. I followed earnestly. I was finally going to meet my father... finally seeing one of my parents. Hopefully one day I could even meet my mother. Even if she didn't want me...

A few hallways later we were at a beautiful grand door. The woman knocked twice and waited calmly. A moment later there was a muffled call that I didn't catch and the woman opened the door.

"Thank you," I murmured as I passed her.

"My pleasure miss," she responded happily and shut the door behind me.

I looked up and paused. It was the young man from earlier. He had dark hair to his ears, startlingly black eyes and my exact face shape. Then he smiled and took a step forward. There was something strangely triumphant in that smile, like he had won some great contest by having me here. I didn't like it.

"Hello Roslyn," he extended a hand politely. "I'm Prince Craven, your father."