Name: Roslyn - Species: Unknown 16

I avoided everyone as much as physically possible. I didn't want to talk to anyone, didn't want to keep having to play dumb. I honestly hated this... I wanted to go back to Ash and Sean so bad I nearly started crying. Twice. I took a deep breath and forced down those thoughts. In the end I was only with those twins for a short time, and Ash was right, I had important things to do. Like finding out what I was. Wow, what a question, not who, but what I was.

"Rose?" Mak looked up the tree where I was currently hiding.

"How did you find me?" I demanded. He was the last person I wanted to see right now. It was nearly sundown and I was planning on hiding in this tree until the moon came up, then I'd sneak back in and sleep on a sofa downstairs.

"I know where everyone is, all the time," he told me calmly, not arrogantly, he was just stating a fact. "I run this place."

I knew that much, I just didn't want to be anywhere near him until my birth records got here from London. He said that I was going to be paying for the favor of said records tonight... and I would very much like to avoid that. I don't think I'd be able to sleep with him, not even for the records. I don't know what happened to me earlier... but there was no way I could sleep with him.

"What do you want?" I asked, looking down at him from the tree.

"Why are you avoiding me?" he asked calmly, crossing his arms and meeting my eyes.

"I-" there was no safe answer to that. If I told him that reacting to him like that freaked me out then he'd know that I hadn't lost my memory... "I don't know." I said finally. "I don't remember much and that was a hell of an intense session in the study."

"That's usual for us," he shrugged.

Like hell it is.

"Sorry, it's just hard when I don't remember anything," I looked up, not wanting to look into his eyes anymore. I was afraid he'd see something there I didn't want, like how scared I was of him now. How scared I was of this attraction... I couldn't let it happen. I had things to do, to find out.

"As many records as I can pull for you are going to be here tomorrow afternoon," Mak told me. "But if you don't get down here now I won't give them to you for another three days."

"Tomorrow?" I looked at him in shock. That soon?! I could be out of here in less than 24 hours...

"I'm waiting Rose," he tapped his foot for emphasis.

I swallowed my pride and jumped from the tree, bending my knees and rolling onto my heels on impact so I wouldn't hurt anything. I had no chance to ask him anymore about the records because the second I was on the ground, Mak had me pushed up against the tree.

"What exactly are you doing?" I tried for coy, but the shock shone through my voice.

"Is this really that hard for you?" his voice was calm, but his eyes were strangely pained... like he was expecting something from me that I just wasn't doing. Since I had no idea what that might be, I just stared at him blankly.

"What do you mean?"

"I know that you never lost your memory Rose."

"I-"

"Don't bother trying to cover for yourself," he sighed. "You put up quite the act. If it was not for the fact that I can tell when you're lying, I would have believed you."

"If you know that I was lying, what exactly are you doing?" I demanded, pushing against him.

He just shoved me back against the tree, scraping my arms against the bark as he pinned my arms. I stared into his green eyes, trying to understand why he was always like this... what he could possibly want from me. I had a feeling it was more than just a one night stand.

"What are you doing?" I asked again, but my voice was softer this time.

"Why don't you feel what I feel?" he asked, taking me by surprise. I was so shocked by that question that when he pressed me further against the tree with his hips, I didn't protest.

"Mak-"

He kissed me. I started to pull away, but he pressed forward until the back of my head was against the tree and I had no room to move away. Panic flared, I didn't like how he had me trapped. I especially didn't like how I was starting to react to him. Heat pooled in my stomach and I leant into him. I thought he would let my arms go, my hands itched to latch into his hair, but he kept them pinned against the tree as he kissed me hard. We only broke apart when we had to gasp in air or suffocate.

"Rose..." he breathed. "Don't leave."

"What?" I stared at him, breathing still heavy.

"I know that as soon as you have your records, you'll want to go."

"You don't know why I want to know who my birth parents are?" I asked softly.

"No, because I already know," he stared down into my eyes, forehead nearly resting on mine, hands still pinning my arms to the tree beside me.

"Already know what?" I demanded.

"I know why you want to know," he murmured. "I also know what happened when you were gone."

"No, you really don't." My heart was starting to squeeze in fear. Did he really know? How could he know things like this?

"You were here, a very long time ago," he laughed, finally letting go of my arms, but he didn't back away. "You're either a jumper... or an angel."

"What?" I tried to jerk away, but he grabbed my wrists, this time pinning them against the tree beside my head. "Stop being an arse!"

"I'm not an arse love," he smirked. "I'm just telling you it as it is."

"Then you're mental." I snapped, struggling to get away from him. He was too strong, as I well know.

"Not that either Rose," he grinned. "I'm just your market brand howler."

"Now I know you're mental," I stared at him. "What on God's gray earth is a howler?"

"I'm part werewolf love," he grinned. My mind blanked. "And don't act like I'm mad cuz I happen to have my great x50 grandmother's diary which happens to speak quite a bit about you when she was around your age, then a little later on when she's grown. I am a direct descendant of the twins you knew, however I am not a werewolf, I am only part wolf."

"You-" I took a deep breath and collected myself. "You're part wolf?"

"Yes."

"What does that mean?"

"It means that I may not turn into a wolf," he grinned happily, but his eyes devoured mine. "But I sure as hell recognize my mate."