Chapter 34

A/N: I guess this is it... the last chapter...

~Grace xx

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                    ***Zayn’s P.O.V.***

    “Zayn, calm down, everything is going to be okay-”

    “No it’s not!” I shouted, cutting off Liam, my voice choked by sobs, and tears making their way quickly down my face, dripping onto my shirt.

    “It’s not your fault! That girl just jumped you! Elena will understand!” Harry tried in vain to comfort me, placing a hand on my shoulder.

    I replied only by gripping onto the steering wheel tighter than I should have, and pressing down on the gas harder.

    My mind was not thinking about how I was driving much above the speed limit, or about how the water in my eyes put me at an even higher risk of crashing, but instead on Elena.

    The look in her eyes, the expression on her face, broke my heart into small shards, much like glass; Touching them caused me even more pain.

    It was a circumstance of being in the wrong place, at the wrong time. That insane girl jumped me, and Elena’s eyes were on us before I had time to push her off.

    I couldn’t explain how terrible I had felt. Yes, it was not my fault, but I had still hurt Elena.

    I had hurt Elena.

    Which, in turn, had hurt me.

    I knew that I loved Elena more than anything else in the world, and I knew that I might have lost her before even telling her how much I loved her. But the voice in my head, screaming over and over again that I had screwed everything up, that I had hurt Elena beyond repair, did not help the heaviness of my heart.

    Finally reaching her apartment building, praying that she was there, I flew inside and towards her flat, the boys on my heel. When I reached it, and saw that the door was open wide, I ran in and up to her bedroom.

    However, I was not greeted by the girl who owned my heart, but instead by a pile of ripped photographs.

    “What happened?” Louis murmured rhetorically, kneeling down to slowly trifle through what looked like a physical representation of both Elena and my hearts.

    Tears rolled even more abundantly down my cheeks as I crouched down, to pick up the only untorn picture; One of Elena and I.

    Turning it over, I read Elena’s scribbled handwriting on the back.

    I will try to keep my distance, say I love you when you’re not listening

   The blue ink on the word ‘love’ was smeared by a single tear drop.

    “No,” I mumbled, squeezing my eyes shut tightly, trying to block out my horrible thoughts.

    Raising my voice, I yelled, “NO! NO NO NO NO NO!”

    “Zayn, what is it?” Liam asked frantically.

    Without a word I shoved the picture over to him, running my hands anxiously through my thick hair, pulling at the tips.

    “Zayn,” He whispered sympathetically, but didn’t try to touch me. He knew I wasn’t stable, and that he shouldn’t try anything.

    “I have to find her,” I said determined, standing up. I had to.

    “Okay, we’ll come with you-” Louis started to say.

    “No,” I replied adamantly, “I have to do this by myself. It’s my fault, I have to fix it.”

    “But-”

    Before he could finish the sentence, I ran through the flat complex, and down to the car. I ignored the fact that I was leaving the boys without a car; They understood that this was important.

    And I knew exactly where she would be.

    I drove and I drove and I drove, following the GPS on my phone, until I reached a beach.

    Parking my car in a small lot, I looked across the beach covered in pebbles, observing the gray skies, and the water that mimicked their melancholic color.

    My body calming from furious with anger at myself, to dejected and depressed, I got out. With long, slow strides, I moved forward towards the unfamiliar setting.

    I got the feeling in the pit of my stomach that you would get when you race to get somewhere or to do something, like you’ll be too late if you don’t, but when you’re almost there, you slow down, afraid to do what you were once urging to.

    The tears on my face began to dry in the cold breeze coming off the lake, sounds of rocks shifting and waves crashing surrounding me.

    Walking across the thin patch of rocky beach, in between the edge of water and a slope upwards made of cracking rock, my eyes searched desperately for where Elena was.

    But then, I saw it, a few dozen metres down the beach.

    The lonely looking gazebo, wood rotting and light blue paint chipping, with a figure sitting inside of it.

    A lonely place for a lonely girl.

    With reckless abandon, I ran forward, faster and faster, until I was at the foot of the structure, a mere 8 feet away from the girl I loved.

    I froze, one foot on the step leading inside.

    Elena was sitting with her back to me on the steps opposite of the one I stood upon, her knees pulled up to her chest, head rested again the wood column holding it up. Her shoulders shook with sobs, the sounds of cracked whimpers escaping her mouth.

    I had done that to her. It was my fault.

    “Elena?” I croaked, tears once again taking over my face.

    She didn’t reply, but I saw her freeze and take in a sharp breath.

    Elena’s voice was ragged and choked as she said my name weakly. “Zayn.”

    I walked forward, the wood creaking underneath my weight, until I was in the center. After a moment, Elena stood up slowly, turning around to face me.

    Her cheeks were tear stained, and her eyes puffy and red. Elena’s brown hair had become disheveled, stray locks hanging in odd places. But the worst thing about how awful I had made her look and feel, was the absence in her eyes.

    No life.

    No happiness.

    No Elena.

    She looked at me with an expression of betrayal that broke my heart.

    “Elena, I didn’t,” I stuttered, “I-I wouldn’t...”

    She didn’t say a word.

    The flood gate in my mouth broke, and I said everything.

    “Elena, I would never... I could never cheat on you. That girl, she jumped on me. I didn’t have enough time to push her off before you saw me. I promise you. You’re the only girl I want.

“Elena, I love you. I love you more than anyone or anything. I have ever since we met, although I only recently realized it. I love the way you care so much about the people you love, I love the way your passion for swimming consumes you, I love your ability to be yourself. I love you, so much.

 “I wish I could give you the world. I wish I could make your life perfect. I wish I could bring back you dad, because I know how much you love him. I would do anything for you, and I will. I’ll do anything to make you forgive me, I’ll do anything to get you back.

 “But please, Elena,” I said desperately, “Please believe me when I say that I would never try to hurt you on purpose.”

 Her lips quivered as she took a step forward, saying quietly, “I believe you...”

 Then Elena slammed her lips against mine in a warm kiss.

 I wrapped my arms tightly around her waist, afraid to let go for even a moment as our lips moved together. Her thin arms were locked around my neck, pulling our bodies as close as they would go.

 The kiss was different from the many we had shared before. Both of us were trying to convince the other of our everlasting love, making it a sweet addicting mix of passion, love, and the cherishing of the moment.

“I love you,” She whispered, pulling back only far enough so that we could look each other in the eyes, and only loud enough so that we both could hear. This precious moment was only to be shared between Elena and I. No one else, not even the beach.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Oh god, I'm getting emotional ^.^

I'm posting the Epilogue and acknowledgements right after posting this, and then my NEW STORY immediately after that, so please, go read it! :)

~Grace xx