VIII: Screaming Wolf

Aurora's P.O.V

"AURORA!! RUN..NOW!!!!"

Jasper's words echoed through the forest, his yells being enveloped by the night chilly air, but for some reason they did not process in my brain very well. I stood there, my back pressed tightly against the tree behind me, staring in awe at the growling wolf in front of me, who's snout was a few inches away from my face. His eyes continued to penetrate on me, conveying a message I simply could not make out, as his tongue flicked over his gnarling fangs.

Aurora. Run. Just move. It's going to kill you. Run. Now.

But I couldn't. I couldn't move. For some strange reason I felt like it wouldn't hurt me. Something inside of me told me it wasn't yet instead I actually felt myself attracted to the wolf. Slowly, I began to stretch out my hand toward's it, inching closer. The wolf looked taken aback, snorting, until finally his breathing began to slower, his upper lip relaxing over his teeth, as he moved closer to me, accepting the palm of my hand to touch his nose.

"Aurora! What are you doing? That thing is going to kill you!" Jasper yelled.

"No Jasper. I don't think it wants to hurt us."

Suddenly, from the end of my eye I watched as Jasper ran towards us, punching the wolf right on the ribs, causing him to stumble to the side in pain, his piercing cry running shivers down my spine, as a tight grip took ahold of my wrist pulling me into a run.

I let out a small gasp, as I looked back at the wolf who was slowly picking himself off the floor, regaining himself in confusion from the blow, as I followed Jasper's tracks quietly, running as fast as possible through the darkness in silence, leaving the wolf behind us.

Jasper's grip on me never loosened, yet instead, his grip grew tighter to the point where it was hurting me, but before I can possibly protest, he stopped running, hiding us behind a large boulder, that was hidden amongst the trees.

"Are you ok?" He asked.

I nodded.

"Aurie. What the hell were you thinking back there?" He whispered angrily. "Were you trying to get yourself killed?"

"No."

"Then?!"

"I'm sorry Jasper, just I thought-"

"You thought it didn't want to hurt us. Ok, listen up. As your older brother it's my responsibility to protect you. That thing back there isn't just a wolf."

"I realized that." I snorted.

"Now is not the time to be sassy." He hissed. "That thing isn't from here. It's not human Aurora. Do you fucking realize that? It's a monster."

"So are we." I growled.

"No, you're not getting the point. Whatever that thing is, it's meant to kill us, dad told me legends about them.....I-I never knew they actually existed."

"Kill us?" I asked in confusion.

"I'll explain when we're home. We have to get out of here and now." He sighed.

"Why can't we just run home. I think we've lost it anyway."

"No. It's too risky. We can't risk it following us, leading it towards where we live, we have to confuse it. We can't have it confirm we're vampires. I think it believes we're humans. Let's keep it that way."

"Pretending to be human is easy. Oh. Jasper, you're ridiculous. I can't hear anything. I'm sure we've lost it." I spat.

Or so I thought.