Chapter 35 - Thanksgiving Part II

"Hey, after dinner, I was hoping we could slip away for a little while. I haven't gotten any alone time with you in a few days and there's something I want to talk to you about." Tyler leans down, sneaking a quick peck to my cheek while we're grabbing drinks from the kitchen and no one is looking.

"Um sure. Do I need to be worried?" I study Tyler's crystal clear blue eyes for any hints of what he's referring to.

"Nah, it's uh, well it's....I'll just explain more later. I don't want to say too much right now, but it is some news I want you to hear from me first." Tyler gives my arm a reassuring squeeze as we walk back into the dining room.

I take a deep breath in and try to steady my nerves. In the back of my head I can't stop wondering what it is Tyler needs to discuss with me.

"Everything looks great mom, you too Mrs. Daniels. Thanks for making all this food." Tyler announces to the table as he takes his place next to me. We're the last ones to get seated for dinner. For such a large dining room it sure looks small with both our families and all this food crammed together in here.

"A toast to Trista and Kristy for all their hard work making this meal for us all!" Mr. Johnson raises his glass and we each do the same.

"We're happy to do it. The best part of Thanksgiving is getting to spend it with family and new friends who have become like family." Mrs. Johnson warmly adds to the toast.

"And cheers to the new tradition of always kicking Tyler's butt in Thanksgiving day football!" Charlie gloats with his biggest arrogant smile. Everyone begins to clink glasses laughing.

Poor Tyler, he really didn't have much of a chance. Everyone's been giving him grief about losing the game. Between him accidentally giving us our first touch down when he carried me into the end zone, to my trick play on him and then Tuck and Charlie double teaming him the rest of the game. My team ended up winning four TD's to their one before our mom's made us stop so we could get cleaned up for dinner. Tyler being the competitor that he is, I know he's dying inside, but he's being a good sport about it anyway.

"That's right, keep it coming. I can take it. But you Daniels' better watch out next year. I'll be better prepared to take on you cheaters, especially this one. You're the worst offender." Tyler looks at me with a glimmer in his eye.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." I shrug, trying to hide my smile.

"Speaking of football, Tyler, would you care to share with everyone your big news?" Mrs. Johnson asks her son excitedly.

Tyler suddenly looks a little panicked.

"Um, now's not a good time, mom." Tyler is trying to discreetly get his mom to change the subject but it isn't working.

"Why not honey? It's exciting! I'm sure everyone would love to hear."

"Hear what? Now you have to tell us, we're all in suspense." Payton says leaning in to her brother with anticipation. Clearly she hasn't heard whatever the news is they are referring to either. The fact he doesn't want to share only makes her more curious.

Tyler turns his glare onto his sister. "Payton, I said now isn't a great time." He says through gritted teeth.

"Oh quit being modest, son. I'll tell everyone since you apparently have gone shy for whatever reason. Tyler got called up by the University of Florida to play as their starting quarterback next season! He's going to be a Gator!"

Everyone around the table starts cheering and congratulating Tyler. I pause, a little in shock, realizing this must be the news Tyler was saying he needed to talk to me about a few minutes ago.