Chapter 29- The First Date

Tyler drives us downtown. It's a Friday night and the local restaurants are full of regular patrons enjoying their meals with friends and family to kick off the weekend. The Main Street sidewalks have decorative pumpkins, corn stalks and scarecrows at each lamp post bringing life to the already beautiful Fall season before it turns to Winter in a matter of weeks.

Tyler circles his Jeep down some side streets and finds a small parking lot just behind Main Street with only a couple empty parking spots left.

"This will work."

Tyler puts his car into park.

"Which restaurant are we eating at 'Mr. Top Secret Plans'?" My tone is laced with sarcasm.

"Actually, we aren't eating at a restaurant."

"Oh.....um. Alright. What are we doing?"

I ask, confusion on my face. Probably some disappointment too. I wish I'd known we weren't eating dinner together so I could have eaten something before he picked me up.

"Don't look so distraught Lila, of course I'm getting you dinner.....I just was planning to get it to go is all. I have some places I want to show you."

Tyler gives me a big grin. He loves that I have no idea what he has planned and he gets to be in charge tonight.

"Ok good." I laugh with relief. "Because I'm starving."

"Well let's go then."

We both hop out of his Jeep. Tyler grabs my hand and leads us into the back entrance of a little Italian place. The restaurant is tiny, but looks like it's been run by the same family for generations based on the photos lining the hallway we are walking down.

"Hey TJ, my man!"

A big Italian man with a husky voice and salt and pepper curly hair calls out to us when we make it to the front.

"Hey Mr. Francesco! Our order ready yet?"

"Hmmm, already ordering for me huh? Risky move buddy."

I whisper to Tyler so only he can hear me. I'm not at all serious. I'm not picky when it comes to food and I'm more so excited to see whatever he has planned for us. Nonetheless I like to tease him as much as possible.

"Got it right here for ya."

Mr. Francesco hands over a large pizza box to Tyler. The smell coming from the brown box is delicious and makes my mouth water instantly.

"Thanks! How much do I owe you?"

"This one's on the house." The large Italian man is now eyeing me. "TJ tells me you're something pretty special, young lady. I've known him his entire life and he's never once talked about a girl the way he talks about you."

A blush is creeping onto my cheeks.

"Uh... thank you sir." I smile back at the large man.

Tyler wraps his arm around my back, not at all embarrassed by his feelings for me.

"You sure Mr. F? I don't mind paying."

"Yes I'm sure. Keep your money, treat your girl to something fun with it. There's nothing better than getting to watch young love. You two enjoy your night."

We both echo our thanks to the restaurant owner and turn to leave.

"That pizza smells amazing!" I say to Tyler when we make it outside to a nearby bench.

"Mr. Francesco's is the best. Everything's made from scratch with their secret family recipes. I actually worked for him my freshman and sophomore years. Which is one of the reasons why I brought you here tonight. I want to show you some pieces of me you don't know about."