Chapter 26- The Wish

Stud Muffin: Where are you?

Lila: Well hello to you too....I'm on my way to English. Why?

Stud Muffin: You didn't come by your locker.

Lila: I haven't gotten that far yet. Why does that matter?

Stud Muffin: Cuz I'm standing here waiting for you. I have a wish that needs granted :)

Lila: First off, Mason cheated when he "beat" Rachel.... pretty sure that means our bet is void. And second, I'm not about to do something embarrassing in Mrs. Sanders class if that's what you're thinking....

I can't hide the little smile forming on my lips while looking down at my phone. The hallways are crowded but I hardly notice anyone else around me as I head to class.

Tyler and I have been working our way back to friendlier terms since last week's final football game. I'd be lying if I said it hasn't felt nice having him back in my life again. Probably because he and Payton are more like family to me than just friends. Which is also why it felt so wrong to try and eliminate him from my life after everything went down.

I've come to believe some people enter your life at the exact moment you need them. If you pay attention, they will teach you invaluable things about yourself. Payton and Tyler each have done that for me in different ways. Payton is my best friend who has challenged me, stood by me, pushed me to new heights and loved me with a fierce love. Tyler on the other hand has brought out a different side of me that no one else ever has. He made it so easy to be vulnerable and open up, and I like to think I did the same for him. The years of walls I built up to mask my insecurities melted away and it taught me how freeing it feels to be your most genuine self. Then, when he broke things off between us, I was forced to look at who I am when I'm all alone. To fight the urge to crawl back within myself and hide the parts of me he had brought out. I shed a lot of tears when things didn't work out between us, but more importantly, in time I shed a lot of self doubts too and it left me stronger in the end. For those reasons I am really proud of how far I have come. I've learned how to stand on my own and that may be the biggest blessing Tyler ever taught me.

I turn the corner by the girls bathroom but stumble back after colliding into a tall dark figure.

My eyes trail up the toned torso of the person who has caught me from falling. The warm sandalwood and citrus scent fills my lungs and instantly I know who it is.

"This feels oddly familiar." Tyler shakes his head in laughter when our eyes meet. "You've gotta stop trying to take me out, Bruiser."

Tyler's still cradling me in his arms, sending a jolt of warmth from where his hands hold me steady. It takes my brain a second to register and reboot words into my head while I stair up at him.

"What have I told you about calling me that name?" I scold him.

"That it's your favorite?" He says but can't keep a straight face.

"Very funny." I deadpan and regain my footing.

"Well now that I found you. Ready to grant my wish?"

"That depends...." I ask skeptically "What is it?"

"Spend lunch with me."

I snort a little laugh.

"Tyler, we already spend lunch together. You and the guys and me and the gir—"

"No, that's not what I mean." Tyler cuts me off while putting his arm around my lower back and guiding us down the hall. "I want you to spend it with me and only me. We can go anywhere that sounds good to you. I can eat anything so you can pick where we go."