(Updated) Chapter 4- "Bruiser"

Mason turns to me just before we walk into Mrs. Sanders class, our fourth hour.

"Let me handle all the talking. Mrs. S loooves me." The side of Mason's mouth curves up into a ridiculous smirk. I get the feeling he probably thinks most women love him.

"This should be good." I mumble under my breath when Mason steps into the class in front of me.

"Mrs. S! Have I told you lately you're my favorite RHS teacher?!" Mason loudly proclaims as we walk in, interrupting Mrs. Sanders at the front of the class. I trail behind him unsure where I should stand or how I should act. I'm trying to avoid making eye contact with all of my fellow classmates who are currently starring at us from their seats. Mason continues. "You look ravishing. Summer must have treated you well. Have you lost weight?"

"That's quite enough Mr. Sterling.  There isn't a compliment in the world that could distract me from the fact you're late to my class. On the very first day I might add. Not really the best way to start off a new school year now is it?"

Mrs. Sanders is clearly a seasoned teacher, I don't have to know her to see that. Her salt and pepper hair and complete disregard to any of Mason's attempts at flattery give it away.  If I had to guess, Mrs. Sander's has probably dealt with many of the "Mason Sterling" types over the course of her tenure. You'll need more than empty compliments or boyish charms to impress Mrs. S.

"I completely agree with you, Mrs. Sanders. But the thing is, I have a good reason for being a tiny bit late today." Mason turns and starts gesturing for me to stand beside him. "I'd like to introduce you to Lila Daniels. It's her first day at our school today. Lila was lost on her way to your class when I found her wandering the halls. So, being the true gentleman that I am..." Mason drags out that part for dramatic effect. "... of course I had to stop and help her. That's why we're late." Mason's clasping his hands at his chest, as if he's swooning himself?

Geesh, this guy is unreal. Does he actually think this will work?

Mrs. Saunders has a stern, contemplative look on her face. She seems uncertain if Mason is telling the truth about us. Mason nudges my shoulder as if to say it's my turn to speak up. I'm not really sure what else to say. I certainly don't want to elaborate on the humiliating experience that actually took place down the hall a few minutes ago that made us late to her class. I quickly decide that playing the roll of damsel in distress in Mason's story is better than trying to explain how I accidentally bulldozed Tyler Johnson because I was trying to do a good deed.

"Yeah, it's true" I begin. "I got lost down one of the science halls when Mason found me. He offered to walk with me since we were headed to the same place. I apologize for being tardy, it wasn't Mason's fault. I promise it won't happen again." I say sincerely.

"I see...." Mrs. Sanders looks at Mason and I. "Welcome to Romeo, Lila. We're happy to have you. Now if you two could please find a seat I'd like to get back to my syllabus."

"See, I told you I had this covered." Mason whispers to me.

There are a couple open desks near the back of the classroom. Mason grabs the last seat in the row we are walking down. I take the one right in front of him.  There is a red headed girl in our row who is seated in front of me. She cocks an eyebrow at me like it's a complete inconvenience to pass papers over her shoulder for Mason and I. Pretty sure she rolled her eyes after looking me up and down too. Was she just sizing me up? What the heck was that for?! The snotty girl is completely gorgeous. She's got the kind of red hair people pay hundreds of dollars for in the salon, pale milky skin which makes her look ethereal and deep green eyes like a rare emerald. I try my best to ignore the slight pit in my stomach she gave me and instead focus on what Mrs. Sanders is lecturing. I don't need another reason for my new teacher to think badly about me.