(Updated) Chapter 18- Homecoming

It doesn't matter what school I'm at, all Homecoming dances are generally the same.  Everybody gets dressed up, takes tons of cheesy pictures with their friends, girls ditch their high heels five seconds after getting to the school and it turns into a sweaty, jumbled cluster of bodies dancing all up on each other inside a dark school gymnasium.

That's where we are now, smack dab in the middle of a giant huddle of dancing classmates. We're several songs deep into dancing at this point. Payton is still on crutches of course so Jake, being the sweet boyfriend that he is, let's Payton ride piggyback whenever she's tired of hopping around on one foot. It's so ridiculous watching her "dance" with only her arms while on Jake's back that it's actually completely adorable. It's one of my favorite qualities about Payton. How she owns whatever she does with reckless abandon and never worries about what anyone else thinks of her.

I'm having a great time with Kelly, Claire, Rachel and Payton. All of us singing our hearts out to each insanely loud song as we dance with each other. I've caught myself eyeing the room for Tyler more than once, but even though I haven't seen him I haven't let it ruin our fun. Then it happens. Inevitably a slow song comes on and that's my cue to exit the dance floor. I would hate to stand awkwardly inbetween a bunch of couples as they gaze into each other's eyes. I'm slowly wading through the pairs of lovebirds when someone grabs my wrist.

"Let's dance." Tanner pulls me to him aggressively and grabs my waist.

"Uh actually...I was just heading to the restroom." I say, a little stunned by the jolt.

"Come on Lila! Let's put the past behind us, we can be friends." He keeps holding me tight.
Do I smell beer on Tanner's breath? He does seem a little more sloppy then normal.

"Really, I'm good. Maybe some other time." I try to dislodge my arm from his grasp but Tanner is relentless.

"You look so hot in your dress." Tanner looks me up and down which sends a chill up my spine, not in the good way. Now I'm mad.

"Tanner, I said NO. Let me go!" I try shoving him harder this time.

"I like a girl who is a little fiesty!" Tanner holds onto me tighter, refusing to let me go. His hands start gliding down my back heading towards my butt.

Suddenly Tanner is ripped off of me!

Tyler punches Tanner with a right hook. Tanner stumbles backwards holding his jaw. The dance floor instantly breaks away, everyone watching the commotion. Tyler ignores everyone else and turns to me with a wild fire in his eyes.

"Are you ok? Did he hurt you? Touch you?!"

"No, no...I'm ok." I answer, grabbing Tyler's giant frame for safety.

"I swear, if he did anything to you...." Tyler looks like he's thinking of a hundred different ways to rip off Tanner's head as he says it. His jaw tight, I feel the adrenaline coursing through his veins as I hold his arms.

"Tyler! Look at me. Don't think about him. He's not worth it." My hand reaches up to his cheek now. "Tanner is a sick drunk idiot but I promise, I'm ok. You got here in time. He didn't touch me."

A small wave of relief washes over Tyler's face as he stares into my eyes. He's still pretty worked up but I can tell he believes me, he knows I wouldn't lie to him.

Tyler grabs my hand. "Let's get out of here."

"I didn't really want her anyway...." Tanner calls out before we can walk away.

Tyler slows down....
No. Don't stop. Don't engage. Just keep moving.

"You still talking Tanner?"