(Updated) Chapter 17- Homecoming Game

The Homecoming game was a nail biter between the Bulldogs and the Titans. Tyler wasn't wrong when he said the Titans quarterback was talented or that it would be a tough game but regardless nothing seemed to rattle him. You never would have guessed that Tyler was remotely anxious earlier based off how cool and collected he appeared all game. He looked totally in control, like this was what he was destined to do. The mark of a truly great player as my dad and brothers would say.

The score was tied near the end of the fourth quarter. We all thought the game would go into overtime. The stadium grew quiet in expectation as the seconds ticked down. Suddenly, Tyler faked to his wide receiver before spinning through the defense covering him. Seeing an opening he changed course, bursting forward. He ran faster than I've ever seen him move, easily leaving any opponents in his dust. He rushed the entire remaining sixty yards into the end zone for a touchdown as the time clock hit zero! Everyone went completely insane, including myself! The student section hopped the fence around the track to rush the field along with what felt like most of the town as well.

Tyler, being the star of the night, was bombarded by a sea of people congratulating him that seemed to never end. There was such a chaotic mob of people surrounding him at all times I never got the chance to get close enough to tell him congrats myself. Believe me, I wanted to, but he was so busy and I didn't feel like it was my place to interrupt his big moment when he clearly had so many other people wanting his attention. Selfishly, I wished Tyler would notice me amongst the crowd of people, stop what he was doing and come talk to me, but I realize that is an unrealistic way of thinking. Even so, I couldn't help but feel a little sad when I packed up my bag to leave the stadium as he continued to speak with tons of fans.

"You coming with to the Dairy Barn?" Payton calls to me when I start walking out of the football stadium. She'd hobbled off to find Jake right after the game ended.

"I think I'm gonna pass tonight actually. I'm pretty beat. See you tomorrow though." I say back, trying to sound light.

"Alright....I understand. I know this week was stressful for you. But hey, you did an awesome job!" Payton gives me a hug. "Make sure you get good sleep tonight, because tomorrow......you better be energized and ready to dance the night away!"

I laugh at Payton's ridiculous grin. "Deal."

"You're still coming over before to get ready, right? The limo's coming at five to pick us up."

"I'll be there." I say with a tired grin. "Night Pay."

"Night!"

Because she can't do anything halfway, Payton hired a limo bus to take our group of nine around town for pictures before the dance. She said it makes the night feel "classier" if we arrive to the dance in a limo. I've never been in one before so I can't say if it effects how "classy" we'll feel but it sounds like fun none the less.

Thinking about getting to hang with all my closest friends, cruising around town before the dance almost makes me forget that I'm the only girl in our group without a date. Payton is with Jake, Kelly with Chase, Claire with Brady and Rachel with Mason. I mean we all hang out together as a big group pretty often, but I usually get to hang with Tyler when they pair off into couples. Without him coming along with us I'm a little worried things could feel awkward. I'm trying to tell myself not having Tyler with us is for the best though. I'm sure he'll look incredibly handsome in his suit and I don't need any more reasons to pine after a guy that's clearly not as interested in me as I am in him.

When I arrive home from the game I immediately collapse into a hot bath. My brain and body are both exhausted from the week and all I want to do is soak everything away in strawberry scented bubbles. I stay in the tub completely still until after the water gets cold. I finally decide to get out so I can change into my favorite oversized sweats and crawl into my soft, warm bed. I'm just getting under the covers when my phone starts ringing.