(Updated) Chapter 16- Pep Assembly

I roll over in my bed too tired (and sore) to open my eyes. I search around blindly for my phone that's dinging with text alerts, waking me up. This week has been intense. Payton wasn't kidding when she said she'd give me a stunt boot camp. I've basically lived and breathed cheerleading the last two days. She arranged for my stunt group to meet for extra reps before and after practice each day so I could be caught up to speed. I'm exhausted but surprisingly feeling much more confident filling in for Payton in the routine.

BFFS:
Payton: Rise and Shine☀️.....it's Pep Assembly Day!!!! It's Lila's debut routine at Romeo and I am here 👏 for 👏 it 👏

Kelly: Yesssss 👸🏼 Let's do this!

Rachel: Agreed, you're gonna be awesome Lila! Nobody has worked harder than you 💪🏻

Claire: So excited for today. We'll miss you out there with us, Pay 💔

Payton: 💜

Lila: Payton, haven't I told you not to text me before 7am?! 😴 But anyways.....thanks girls 💗 😱

Payton: I've been up for an hour! I'm too excited. Can't wait to watch y'all kill it 🙌🏻 Lila, you especially 🥰  How are you feeling about today?

Lila: Anxious but also surprisingly ready. I couldn't have gotten this far without all of your help.  🥰

Payton: Heck yea you're ready! That's our girl! PS We'll always have your back!

Rachel: Always♥️

Kelly: Yep, you're stuck with us for good now 👯‍♀️

Claire: agreed💗💗

Lila: I think I'm ok with that 😊

******

Everyone's filing into the gymnasium for the Pep Assembly and my palms are getting sweaty. I sneak off to find a quiet corner so I can visualize the routine in my head one last time. It's a trick my old coach taught me before big competitions. I imagine myself hitting each skill, each step on the mat, every motion from start to finish. It's my way of blocking everything else out to get into the zone. I have my eyes closed and am walking through the routine in my mind when I sense someone next to me. I don't have to open my eyes to know who it is.

"Hey."

I open my eyes to the tall gorgeous boy wearing the number thirty three jersey.

"—Sorry, I wasn't trying to interrupt your 'pre-game rituals' or whatever you're doing. Just wanted to tell you good luck. Not that you need luck. You're gonna be great." Tyler gives me his signature smirk that always makes my heart skip a beat.

"That's alright, I was basically done. Just going through the routine in my head one last time to try and focus my nerves into something more productive. But enough about that, how about you? Talk to me about something else to distract me. Are you ready for your big game later tonight?"

"Yeah....I think so." Tyler shifts his weight from one side to the other uncomfortably. I sense a slight hesitation in his voice. "The Titans are having a really good season so it won't be easy. I know their QB pretty well, he's in the running to be an All American." The look on his face tells me he's not saying everything.

"I know someone else who's in the running to be an All American...." I give him a gentle nudge on the shoulder.

Tyler is an incredible player. He's got tons of schools scouting him from what I hear. Yet, right now I don't see the confident star quarterback standing next to me. Instead, I see someone who is trying to put on a front to hide how he's feeling inside.