四十

"Onē-san, are you in here?"

"I'm here!"

The door slides open revealing the young Rengoku, a sheepish smile on his face as he takes in the room, the room that was left empty ever since Kyōjurō's departure but made sure it was clean and well-kept every time his younger brother do chores. But then again, the family insist to let it stay as if he was never gone,only left for a short journey.

"Are you packing Anii-huē's clothes?"

He set himself down beside her, noticing the pile of untouched ones around, some wrinkled and messy and some are folded neatly according to its colours so he assume Satsuki went through his wardrobe and intend to tidy them up.

"Only disposing what he never wore."

She came back last night after staying at the Butterfly mansion quite awhile, heard she was injured at least twice after encountering two Upper Moon Demons. Senjurō is afraid, he is always afraid; it began when his brother went for missions more often, then it became intense when he grew close with Satsuki who too, is risking her life out there. Senjurō is still afraid, what will he do if he were to lose her too?

Satsuki who senses his melancholy, stops her hands. Looking at his way who seem to brood quietly, "Senjurō?" her soft voice called; "Is anything the matter?"

It took him a couple seconds to return her gaze, but they are wavering, Senjurō look like he is about to cry,

"I know—i have no right to intervene what you wishes to do,Onē-san but,i only wish to say this just to get it off my chest."

That is the cue for Satsuki to halt whatever she is doing, shifting closer as to kneel fully facing him now,ready to listen whatever bothers him so,

"Every time Brother and you were out there, i can't help but to feel very anxious. I pray for your safety every day, i couldn't sleep thinking the worst case possible happen to you and brother.And then knowing Anii-huē died, i feel like i haven't done any efforts,i felt completely useless."

"Senjurō.."

"I feel the need to pick up my blade and start again, but nothing still happened. Onē-san works twice harder, risking your life on the line without hesitation. If only... i too, can protect you the way Anii-huē did."

Satsuki let him cry, letting the droplets of tears gather on his lash line before they drip down at the edge of his chin messily,her heart ache at the sight,

"I am scared," sobs he, "What if someday you won't return to our house again? what if you died following Anii-huē leaving Father and i all by ourselves?" He raise both his hands to wipe them off but futile as they drain down his cheeks continuously,

"What if i won't be able to live on?"

"Senjurō," she place a gentle touch by his trembling shoulder, "Look at me?"

He oblige with her small request and that put a genuine smile on her mouth, "I'm sorry i didn't notice how scared you are," began Satsuki, her index finger catches one stroll of his tear across his supple cheek, "Your brother and i took advantage of your kindness and we didn't even consider your feelings. And for that, we are so sorry. To tell you the truth, i am also scared."

"..You are?"

She chuckles, "Of course, living as a Demon Hunter won't guarantee you can seize the clear sun tomorrow." She peers into his face;
  "But just as you were waiting for us,we were thinking of you."