-Chapter 28-

Kansas opened her eyes and quickly walked back to her sleeping mat where she lay until sunrise. She got out of her mat and walked over to the fire they had lit the night before. She snapped her fingers a few times and the wood went up in flames. Once the three boys had properly woken up and joined her by the fire, Kansas spoke,

"Guys I wanted to tell you something." Byron and Jonah looked away from their sludgy oatmeal and at each other.

"Is this going to be weird?" Byron asked but Kansas shook her head.

"I just wanted to thank you guys for coming with me on this journey. I know that I wouldn't have been able to do this without you guys."

"Awwwww Kansas is getting emotional!" Byron joked as he wiped a fake tear off his cheek.

"Don't worry Kansas we aren't going anywhere." Finnick said as he smiled brightly. Byron grabbed Kansas and the two boys into a hug.

"This calls for a group hug!" He hugged them tightly but then said,

"Wait. What's our group name?" Kansas managed to loosen herself from Byron's intense grip and said,

"We are not having a group name." She packed up their cutlery and handed everyone their bags as Byron nagged her with names.

"We could be the Sorcerers! No, Finnick, Jonah and I aren't magical. What about the-"

"This conversation is pointless." Kansas groaned as she and Jonah began walking away into the forest as Byron kept going with team names. Unfortunately for Finnick he stood beside Byron the entire time.

After a few more minutes of walking, Kansas heard a tree branch snap. She turned around.

"What? What is it?" Byron asked but she shushed him. She looked into the trees, when something caught her eye. Someone was in the trees hidden under a cloak, watching them. Kansas held her hand wide ready to, hopefully, be able to produce magic to defend them. Suddenly an arrow shot out of the trees on her left. They all faced the direction but saw pure darkness. More arrows were shot and pinned Finnick's clothes down. As Finnick struggled to move, a dart flew across the path and hit him in the neck. Jonah took the dart from his neck and sniffed it. He gagged at the toxins and said,

"Sleep dart. We're being ambushed!" Kansas watched as she saw a group of Morgles run down from the trees out of nowhere.

"Run!" Kansas shouted as she watched Jonah protect Finnick's body from getting hit by sleeping darts. She then watched as Byron's body fell as well. Kansas shot a blast of magic towards the Morgles and killed a few but soon enough she felt herself faltering.

Then her worst fear had come true, her magic had run out. She reached for her sword but suddenly felt something sharp hit her arm. She looked down and saw a dart on her shoulder. She pulled it out and began to feel very dizzy. She knew she needed to stay awake but all Kansas wanted to do was sleep. She could see the Morgles cornering her and thought this would be the end but as she focused her eyes,  the Morgles weren't advancing onto the group. They were fighting something else. Someone else. She could see someone flying in midair before everything went dark.

*...*

Kansas woke up. She felt her head ache painfully as she looked around and saw she was in a dark cave. She sat up slowly and immediately regretted the decision since her head felt terrible, but she knew she had to find her friends. As she looked around she could see them sleeping on slabs on rocks peacefully, much like herself.

Who could've saved them? Kansas thought when suddenly her stomach dropped. She saw a long cloak with ragged edges like the woman she had fought in the Forbidden City.