-Chapter 4-

When Kansas came downstairs, she saw her mother running around the kitchen making porridge and cutting up slices of bread. Kansas saw a letter on the table. It had a Mage stamp. A Mage stamp is one of the important stamps you can get on a letter. They had only gotten one or two that Kansas knew of when Sir Ivan invited Kansas's family to come to Sir Ivan's house.

Sir Ivan was close to her father, Adviser CloudsDale, and they lived on the other side of town. She was good friends with Finnick, who was half Mage, unfortunately because they were good friends he picked her up from school some days which meant girls would stare. She hated that people thought they were courting even though he was a few years older than her and she was just his friend. Kansas saw the letter had already been opened and she went to pick it up but her mother quickly saw Kansas heading for the letter and quickly grabbed it and put it away.

"Muuum, why can't I read that letter?" Kansas moaned.

"It's none of your business that's why." She snapped back.

"Now help me with the porridge." Kansas saw her mother point at the pot on the fireplace so she quickly hurried over to it and started to stir it. While she stirred the porridge she saw her mother rushing around.

"Come on Kansas. Stir faster and put it on the table. I have to talk to you before the boys come down." So Kansas moved faster. When she put the pot down and looked back at her mother.

"So what do you need?" Kansas said as she wiped some milk off her hand onto her apron. Her mother started to fidget with her hands. She only did this when she was nervous.

"Wait, the king hasn't asked Byron or Marcus or father to be a soldier, has he?" The mother shook her head,

"Thankfully no.Well the letter I received is from Lord Ivan. You should know him, he is the father of Finnick. Well Finnick is coming of age and you are too so he asked for your hand in marriage."

"NOO!!" Kansas shouted, "I'm not marrying for an alliance. I will be marrying for love!" She said as she started to serve the porridge. Byron and Marcus came down the stairs and into the kitchen.

"Please at least think about it. The amount of protection and allies this would gain would be amazing, especially since Byron's coming of age to become a soldier" Kansas mother muttered loud enough for Kansas to hear and she replied,

"No way will it even cross my mind." as she sat down to eat.

*...*

After breakfast she changed into her school uniform which was a white dress down to knees with beautiful sky blue lace. Cute white heeled shoes and her hair was put in a tight bun with only a few strands dangling out. Then she grabbed her three books ('How to be a good wife.' by Linda Stone, 'When in doubt, ask your husband' by Ava Snow and 'the perfect way to host a fancy party for your husband' by Belinda Grave.), her parchment and quill and set off for another boring day at school.

To get to school was tricky but she had a special way to go. Down the alleyway next door to her house, past the fountain with a swan statue, she loved swans and had always wanted to see one but never got the chance they were too rare to see, then cross the street which seemed like it was never in use and walk past the baker which is never open and then you will see a bunch of hills flowing around and a pathway made of brick that she could follow for a little bit and would see her school up ahead. When she got to the field of hills she stopped and looked up into the sky. The clouds were huge today. When she was old enough to leave home Kansas thought of riding a dragon up to the sky and jumping onto the huge clouds. It was a dream she had had but it felt so real. Kansas loved to dream. About anything, even the scary dreams were amazing. It was her way to escape reality. Kansas was an amazing daydreamer.