-Chapter 17-

They followed one of Hazel's glowing hazelnuts until Byron couldn't walk any longer.

"Can we take a break? My ribs are aching like crazy." Byron winced. They stopped to get some weapons out of their bags.

"Ok, I'll take the sword. Byron you told me you were good with swords so you can have the other and Kansas you can have the bow and arrow." Jonah said, passing the weapons.

"But Jonah, you said you would never hurt any creatures." Kansas said. Jonah sighed and replied,

"I said that I wouldn't hurt a creature that didn't hurt me but you are the Savior and we have to do whatever it takes to keep you safe. I'll teach you how to use a bow." Jonah set down his sword and walked over to her but she pushed him away,

"It's fine, I know the basics." She drew her bow and shot an arrow at the apple that Byron had put down. Jonah and Byron were stunned.

"When did you learn that?" Byron asked. Kansas shrugged and said,

"You remember when we met Sir Ivan and Finnick for the first time? Finnick taught me." Jonah walked over to the apple, took the arrow out of it and handed it to Kansas.

"Good on him for teaching you one decent skill." Byron muttered as they unpacked and set up camp.

"Tell me about your life." Kansas said to Jonah,

"Which bit?" Jonah smirked.

"Everything. Your life in the deadliest forest on AverDale." Jonah began telling the story of his life. Xander, Borso, the meeting with the Elders. Kansas was so immersed into his story she forgot the world even existed.

"Can we eat lunch?" Byron said, noticing the tension between his sister and Jonah. Suddenly a rustling came from the bushes near them. Jonah put his hand on the handle of his sword. Kansas could see soldiers just like the ones from Sir George's party on horses walking through the trees. Jonah, Byron and Kansas hid behind a rock they were once sitting on.

"Look!" The soldier on the right said and pointed to the food and backpacks they hadn't hidden. Kansas held her breath afraid one move could lead to their capture. A bird flew ahead and landed on Byron's head.

"Caw Caw!" The bird wouldn't leave Byron's head. It began pecking on his head,

"Ugh get off!" Byron said a little too loud. The men turned their heads at them as Jonah said,

"Um run?!" The men chased them and pinned them down. One of the soldiers looked at Kansas and said,

"Guys it's the girl that the Mage wants! Kill those two and take her." The soldiers nodded and got their swords out.

"Please don't take her! You've got the wrong girl!" Jonah shouted. The soldier laughed and pulled him away. It happened so quickly, Kansas surely would've missed it if she looked a second later. A girl fell down from the sky and landed perfectly on two feet. She had beautiful chocolate brown skin with hazel brown eyes that had a hint of red. Her dark blue dress was made of animal hides and leather boots. Her face was the sternest face Kansas had ever seen, other than her own mother of course. The girl stood tall as the men stared into her direction. If looks could kill, the soldiers would have dropped dead by now.

"Don't kill them or you will pay!" She shouted as thunder clouds began to move quickly in their direction. Some of the soldiers laughed,

"What's a girl going to do about that?" She smirked and said,