-Chapter 15

Kansas opened her eyes. As she looked around she could see what was left of a bombed house. There were still bricks holding up walls and as the wind brushed against Kansas she could see the house swaying along.

"Did I forget to mention that Gold's Soldiers bombed half the town?" Mason said, choking back the bile. Kansas felt like her throat had closed up and felt sick just thinking about all the people the soldiers must've killed. She cleared her head of the thought and continued walking into the ruins.

"JONAH! JONAH!! JONAH ARE YOU THERE?" Kansas shouted. No response. Kansas wanted to run around shouting his name but knew that he could be trapped under rubble that could slip and slide around. Again she shouted. This time she got a response.

"KANSAS!" Kansas could hear Jonah's voice coming from across the house. She ran towards the voice and soon enough she could see the silhouette of her friend. Once she got to him, she grabbed him into a hug and his cheeks went a dark red.

"I missed you too." Jonah joked, but Kansas wrapped her arm around him tighter. Jonah quickly let go of her and drew his sword when he saw Mason, who had been out of breath from running after Kansas,

"Ah, we found your boyfriend." Mason said, pointing to Jonah. "Can you tell him to stand down please?"

"He's not my boyfriend." Kansas snapped. She put a hand on Jonah's shoulder and said,

"This is Mason. He's on our side." Jonah lowered his blade but still kept it in his hand as he turned to Kansas.

"You have a lot of explaining to do." Kansas decided to shorten the story and explain quite fast. Jonah held the creases on his forehead as he said,

"So you're telling me I could've died and now Byrons in danger too?" Kansas nodded.

"We should probably get a move on unless you want your friend to become a fried moon chimera." Mason added. Jonah made a disgusted face as he whispered to Kansas,

"Never smell a moon chimera, they smell worse than anything you've ever smelt."

"But how will we find Byron?" Jonah asked Mason. Mason smirked and said,

"Same way we found you."

                                                                                  *...*

Kansas, Jonah and Mason opened their eyes to see they had teleported outside of an old bakery.

"Why a bakery?" Mason asked as they walked into the building.

"My brother is a baker." Kansas said, her voice quivering. Her heart raced as she thought of all the ways they could find Byron, dead or alive. Jonah put a hand on her shoulder, feeling her worries.

"We're going to find him." Jonah promised. Kansas nodded and grasped his hand tightly as Kansas and Jonah began to walk into the bakery. Kansas noticed Mason stayed outside.

"Aren't you coming?" Kansas questioned.

"I'll stay lookout. I can feel negative emotions nearby. Hurry." Kansas nodded as they opened the door. The dust filled their faces, causing them to cough. Kansas looked around the empty bakery.

"I don't see him. Maybe we did the spell wrong?" Jonah shook his head,

"You did the spell correctly but he could've seen the magic and left."

"Possibly." Suddenly a rustling sound came from behind the counter top. Kansas turned around and her heart skipped a beat.

"Byron? It's me, Kansas." A familiar face stood up. Kansas gasped as she saw Byron standing behind the counter.