-Chapter 26-

Once they found a spot to rest after being in the carriage for a couple hours, Kansas started to untie the bandages.

"Finnick this might hurt, bite down on this." Kansas said as she passed him a cloth.

"I've never had to do this with a wound this big so it might hurt a little more." Kansas muttered as Jonah helped her unwrap all the bandages. Kansas could feel her hands start to shake.

"Talk. Just talk to me please, it'll stop my hands from shaking."

"Where did you learn this?" Jonah asked as she started to put the medicine on his wound. It stung but all Finnick did was winced.

"I learned it in school. Women had the choice to learn it and I thought it would be helpful. And clearly I was right." She said as she continued to dab the medicine on. Then she finished putting the medicine on, she got new bandages out of her cloak pocket.

"Wait, where did you get those?" Byron questioned.

"I saw them on the shelf and I grabbed them while no one was looking in the pharmacy. I thought it would be helpful." She shrugged. They watched as the wound closed into smaller wounds.

"Kansas, this trip is changing you. I mean stealing things and magic powers! Wapow! Shaplop! Karate chop!!" Byrons tried to karate chop a leaf but a bug stung him on his finger instead.

"Ow."

"I don't even know how it happened. It was like..." She started but Finnick cut her off,

"Like the world wasn't there anymore. It's like the magic was just there. It was inside of you yet it was horrible because you saw memories you tried to push down and like it was part of you." She was startled that he knew what it was like.

"Yes!" She said, as she accidentally pushed down on the cloth on Finnick's stomach a little too hard. Finnick winced and Kansas quickly said,

"Oh my! I'm so sorry!" She then took the bandages and wrapped them over the smaller wounds.

"How did..." She said and Finnick shrugged as much as he could.

"I have this memory that is vivid but it felt so much like what my father has described magic like." Kansas knew Finnick and his father didn't get along. She put the bandages in her sack and said,

"Finnick, you should rest. It's been a long day for everyone." Byron laughed and mentioned,

"Especially you. I mean who knew you had super powers." Kansas giggled but inside she felt exhausted.

"I'm fine. I mean rest does sound nice-" Kansas felt dizzy the second she mentioned being tired but Byron caught her from falling.

"Yes rest does sound nice, so go rest Kansas. You've done so much to help me and I thank you." Finnick added, smiling. She folded her arms and said,

"I'll rest but someone should stand guard just in case." They nodded as Jonah began unpacking the sleeping mat.

"I'll go first." Jonah said as Kansas got up to unroll her sleeping mat. She lay down as the sun went down behind the trees as if it was hiding from someone. She slowly fell into a deep sleep but as if she only slept for a few seconds, Kansas woke up in the middle of the night.

"Bad dream." Kansas said to herself over and over again.

It was just a bad dream. She thought as she tossed around on her mat until she couldn't take it any longer. She sat up and looked around at Finnick and Jonah's peaceful frames asleep on their mats.