-Chapter 20-

Kansas opened her eyes. As she looked around at her surroundings she realized she wasn't in the town anymore, it seemed like she wasn't anywhere anymore. All she could see was a black room.

There was nothing in the room, no windows, no furniture, nothing. It reminded her of when she met the Elders for the first time, she grabbed the spot of her arm where she was branded remembering the pain it had caused her. The spot still seared every once and a while. Kansas shook her thoughts away from that unpleasant feeling as she investigated where she could be but all she could see was darkness.

Suddenly a glowing red dot appeared on Kansas's forehead. Golden magic began to swirl around her head until it created a crown. Kansas could see magic in her swarming around her and as she watched it begin to swirl around her, she realized it was creating a whirlwind.

Inside the whirlwind she saw something as if it was a memory except Kansas didn't remember it. Jonah was standing on a pile of rubble then he ran into a giant hole and then a giant explosion of purple magic came out of the hole. Kansas didn't see him resurface and her legs felt like jelly. She tried to grab the memory but it flew away. Kansas ran after it as it flew away, trying to grab it but with no avail. Her eyes began to water.

Was this a vision? Would Jonah die? Kansas thought how she would tell Jonah what she saw until she decided she wouldn't. She felt the hole in her heart sinking deeper and deeper until she felt she had no heart, just an empty crater in her body. Kansas suddenly gasped as she remembered this had happened in a dream of hers. Kansas thought of the dream she had had of Byron. Was that a vision too? Kansas shook the thought out of her mind and promised herself she would never let them die.

Kansas opened her eyes and suddenly she was back in the city center of Murdon, the sun was just rising as she ran back to Thomas's house. She climbed up the pipe and into the bathroom window. She changed into her night dress and scuttled into her room. As she slowly closed the door she almost screamed when she saw Byron and Jonah looking at her with very angry faces.

"I hope you have a great explanation or a very thought up lie." Byron said.

*...*

"So you woke up and you were back in town center?" Kansas nodded as Jonah finished asking questions. Jonah pressed his finger between his eyebrows as he said,

"I still have no clue how I could've missed that."

"What?" Kansas queried. Jonah looked up at her and said,

"The Elders have been telling me to study the Savior since I was a kid. His powers, skills, abilities. When I was told I had to find the new Savior I thought this must be why they made me learn about him. And," He said as he began to pace around the room. "I knew you had telepathy so why didn't I think that the Whisperer attack could've been something linked to your emotions."

"What are you saying? Can my emotions come to life?" Jonah nodded and said,

"When you are very emotionally vulnerable the emotion, or emotions, that you are feeling strongest will take the form of a shadow creature. They can do so much damage, if I remember this correctly anger can even create a fire breathing Dragon, sadness can send a shock wave around you and grief can kill everything you touch." Kansas tried to make sense of her new ability.

"So I'm like an empath except I can't feel emotions?"

"Yes but you are so much more. Your emotions are like a brick wall, if something were to break the brick wall and cause, I don't know, a panic attack, it would become that shadow creature you saw and together you could destroy anything."