78. A Soul's Desecration

Vaughan twisted around Aeron and brought up a wall of black and silver fire, shielding the Demi-Fae from Maeve's next attack. She scraped her sickles together with a resounding chime, waiting for his fire to die down. "Look how far you've come," Maeve cooed. "I remember when you hid your magic from everyone. Or, tried to, at least."

Vaughan rested one hand on Aeron's shoulder. The male was trembling with exhaustion, but he continued to gulp down deep breaths. Vaughan tightened his hand around the hilt of his sword. His dagger was long since lost. Aeron rolled his shoulders and readied himself.

"Aelin is here," Vaughan murmured, glancing behind Maeve.

His heart skipped a beat, realizing that Rowan and Luciana were standing with the Queen. They were both all right, and Rowan didn't seem to have any lingering injuries from his lightning. But if Luciana was with him, then where was Brye? He had his answer a moment later, when he caught sight of a limp body and a pool of blood beneath it.

    Pride swept through him and he let it trickle across the Mating Bond. The next instant, Vaughan's flames winked out and Maeve lunged. Aeron and Vaughan caught the attack together. Aeron was the first to break away, whirling behind the Valg Queen and landing a kick to her back. Maeve stumbled, but did not fall.

Aedion and Elgan are almost here, Luciana's voice said through the carranam bond.

Do we have a plan? Aeron and I can't keep her occupied much longer.

Aelin says we have to force Maeve back through the portal and destroy the...Wyrdmarks?

Vaughan crashed to his knees as Maeve landed a solid blow to his gut. Luciana's terror jolted through the gleaming tether in his chest. He rolled beneath the sweep of Maeve's sickles and sprang back onto his feet. His surroundings began to spin. Vaughan shook his head, trying to focus.

"Aeron!" Luciana screamed.

Vaughan's head snapped up. While he was distracted, Maeve had pinned Aeron down. Her foot was crushing his throat. Aeron squirmed beneath her, shoving at her heel weakly. Already, his face was turning purple. A blast of light barreled into Maeve, knocking her backwards. Aeron pushed himself onto his hands and knees, gasping for breath.

Vaughan didn't hesitate. He ran to the male and hooked an arm around his waist, dragging Aeron to his feet. He half supported, half carried Aeron over to the others. "Thanks," Aeron rasped, his gaze finding Luciana's. She nodded, her lips pressed into a thin line.

"Do you think we have a chance?" Luciana asked, facing Vaughan.

"She is dead. We have more of a claim to this world than she ever will," Vaughan replied.

"We can use our flames to force her back through the portal," Aelin said. Vaughan turned to her. "They'll be more effective than anything else."

"What about what she wants from us?" Vaughan gestured between himself and Luciana. "How can she accomplish that?"

"Luciana's blood was used to activate the Wyrdmarks," Aelin explained. She glanced at Luciana, who nodded in confirmation. "If any of your blood falls onto them as well, whatever other spells Brye carved will be enacted." Aelin's gaze flickered to Aeron. "Can you destroy the marks once we get her through the portal?" Aeron nodded.

Vaughan whistled under his breath and Brin perked up. He pointed at Aeron. Brin gave a low whine, but joined the male obediently. "She's up," Rowan called.

Vaughan faced Luciana and found her already holding up a slit palm. Her wounds hadn't healed yet. He wondered if they wouldn't until the Wyrdmarks were destroyed. Vaughan bit into his own palm and sliced it open with a canine. He gripped Luciana's hand and pulled her close. Her magic flowed into him, a sea of light and warmth.