4. Limited Time

The artwork above is not mine.

◦ ── ◦ ☼ ◦ ── ◦

Vaughan massaged his temples wearily, then straightened and called another set of instructions to his pupils. The day was proving to be a long one. He'd barely slept the night before. Nightmares kept him awake. 

He'd been dreaming of the Valg. Of Maeve. He dreamed that he was being forced to swear the blood oath to her again. His parents and little sister were in chains at Cairn's feet. Maeve had promised to spare them if he surrendered. She'd drawn a blade across her wrist until blood spilled from her flesh. It was black instead of red.

She'd stroked Vaughan's hair tenderly as he drank. Whispered sickly sweet promises in his ear. He could still feel the cold touch of her hand at the base of his neck. He could feel the pinch of her nails digging into his skin. Maeve had torn her wrist from him as soon as he completed the oath and before he realized what was happening, a Wyrdstone collar had been clamped around his throat.

Vaughan had screamed and begged as he tried to pull it off. As the Valg Prince, the Demon, invaded his body, shoving him back into the recesses of his own mind. He'd watched through his own eyes as he tore his family to shreds. He'd watched as Maeve took his body to bed. Watched as he attacked Connall. Watched the life drain from his onyx eyes. Saw Connall's lips move in a silent utterance of forgiveness. Of love. Heard the crack of his neck.

Vaughan blinked and the images faded from his mind. He looked up to see three figures approaching. Aelin Galathynius smiled as she reached him. Lorcan's mouth was set in a straight line, although he didn't look as unfriendly as usual. Rowan's pine green eyes swept over Vaughan with a hint of concern.

"What are you three doing here?" Vaughan asked.

"We're here to check on the Bane's progress," Aelin replied.

Vaughan crossed his arms. "You mean Luciana's?"

Lorcan inclined his dark head. "Aedion wants to make a decision regarding her. He asked for our opinions."

"Do you know where she would be right now?" Rowan asked.

"The archery range," Vaughan answered.

Lorcan arched his brow. "She can't figure out basic hand to hand moves but you're letting her use a bow?"

"She has an eye for targets. Her arm isn't bad either." Vaughan turned to his students. "Keep running through your forms. I don't want to see any of you outside this ring for another hour yet."

He didn't wait to see if any of them acknowledged him. The looks on Kron and Malik's faces told him enough already. They wouldn't be listening to his orders. He'd deal with them later. Right now, he owed it to Nascha to make sure Luciana was given a proper chance. Vaughan gestured for the others to follow as he set off across the camp.

"You all right?" Rowan asked, falling in step with Vaughan. Aelin and Lorcan trailed close behind.

"I'm fine."

"You look tired."

"So do you."

"I think we're tired for different reasons."

Vaughan barely smirked. "How do you know I don't spend my nights with someone?"

"Fenrys would know who they are. I've asked and he says you don't have any lovers."

"And?"

"You were the one concerned about Fenrys for that same reason."

"That's because we all know it's impossible for Fenrys to keep his dick in his pants."