45. The King of Adarlan

Vaughan closed the lid of a large box and slid it beneath his bed. It was one of Luciana's Yulemas presents, which Nascha had helped him pick out. He was planning to give it to her sometime before the ball the next evening. He just wasn't sure when. He'd been informed that Luciana, Nascha, and Evangeline intended to explore the palace before the ball, and he would be busy checking in with Aelin's spies for most of the day. That didn't leave him with much time for personal endeavors.

    I could give it to her tonight, Vaughan thought, but I'm not sure how this dinner will go. I want to be in the right headspace when I give it to her.

    He wanted to be in the right headspace when he told her the truth as well, but that seemed like a long shot. Already, Rowan had revealed there were far more people attending Dorian's ball than what Vaughan had anticipated. He wasn't sure he could handle a crowd that large, and a confession of equal size at the same time. A knock sounded at the door, interrupting his thoughts.

    "It's open," Vaughan called. Nascha stepped inside and closed the door softly. She leaned against the wood, watching him with a shrewd eye. "You look nice," he said.

    Nice was an understatement. Nascha looked both beautiful and intimidating in her well cut tunic made of royal blue material. Gold trimming accented the collar and sleeve cuffs. The tunic buttoned down to her waist, where it met a fitting pair of black pants. Nascha's long hair hung loose down her back. A necklace and wedding ring were the only jewelry she wore.

    "Thank you," she said. "I just wanted to check on you before we go down. Will you be all right this evening?"

    "I'll be fine," Vaughan replied. "You just worry about having fun."

    "I will have fun, but I want you to have fun too. Old people sometimes forget how."

    Vaughan rolled his eyes, but smiled. Nascha had been calling him old almost the entire time he'd known her. He claimed his revenge by convincing Evangeline to call Nascha old, so he didn't have to. To his knowledge, Nascha still didn't know he was the one who'd put Evangeline to the task.

    "Well, if I'm seated between you and Luciana, I'm sure I'll be forced to have fun," he said.

    "I'm not sure how Dorian has us placed. Rowan thinks we'll be spread out among the other guests."

    "Great." He couldn't stifle his sigh.

    "If you need to leave, I can cause a scene so you have an excuse. We wouldn't want you to die of embarrassment after all," Nascha snickered. Vaughan managed a small smile, but couldn't hold onto it for long. Soft footsteps crossed the room. Nascha rested her hand on his shoulder. "I'm serious. If you need to leave, just do it. I'll come up with some explanation. The same goes for tomorrow night."

    "Thank you."

    "But," Nascha dug her nails into his shoulder, "if you abandon Luciana for anything less than a good reason, it won't be Aeron you'll have to fear."

    "Duly noted," Vaughan grunted.

    Nascha released him. "Come on. The others are ready to go." Vaughan followed her out the door. Sure enough, the others were already gathered in the hallway. Luciana fell in step with Vaughan and he let himself look her over as they made their way to the appointed dining hall.

    Her cheeks were flushed and her eyes held an excited shine. Luciana had pulled her golden curls back into a low ponytail, which hung loosely over her shoulder. She wore a forest green gown, crafted in a simple fashion. The neckline was low and wide, but still sat firmly on her shoulders. The bodice laced down to her waist, before splitting into two separate panels of fabric, with a creamy underskirt beneath. Vaughan noticed that she wore no jewelry.