61. Resolved to Try

◦ ── ◦ ☼ ◦ ── ◦

Luciana toyed with a golden curl, watching as Aeron spoke with Aedion and Elgan. Close by, Vaughan and Kyllian were calling out instructions to a group of soldiers. Two days had passed and it was time for her brother's unit to leave. Luciana's stomach twisted with nervousness. The next time she saw Aeron could be in the middle of a battlefield.

    Luciana pulled on her hair harder and a furry weight slumped against her. She glanced at her feet and found Brin looking up at her. Brin nosed her leg and Luciana bent down to pet her. Already, the puppy's training was paying off.

    In addition to her usual behavioral tricks, Vaughan was trying to teach her to recognize different emotional cues. So far, Brin could tell when one of them was sad or anxious. It had taken her a little longer to learn how to respond to their emotions, but she seemed to be grasping the concept now.

    Footsteps approached and Luciana straightened. Aeron flashed her a smile. She tried to return it, but knew it didn't quite reach her eyes. Aeron pulled her into a tight embrace. "I'll be all right, Luci," he murmured. "And you'll be safe with Vaughan."

    "I know. I just..." Luciana's breath shook. "The war didn't seem real before. Now, it's almost here and this could be the last time we see each other."

    "This will not be the last time we see each other," Aeron said firmly. "I promise." He drew back, holding her only by the shoulders now.

    Luciana took a moment to memorize his features, knowing that she didn't truly believe his promise. She mapped the proud angles of his face. The gleam in his brown eyes. The swoop of his blonde hair. She studied the curve of his ears, so unlike the pointed tips of her own. She once again tried to mirror the smile that had upturned the corners of his mouth.

    Someone whistled and Aeron lowered his hands. "I should go. I love you, Little Sister."

    "I love you too," Luciana sighed.

    Aeron turned and headed back towards his unit. Vaughan met him halfway and mouthed something inaudible. Aeron stared at him, evidently surprised, before he smiled and nodded. Luciana didn't bother asking for an explanation when Vaughan joined her. She kept her gaze fixed on her brother.

    A novice approached, leading a horse by the reins. "Aeron!" Kyllian hollered, before he could take them. The Commander sprinted over to him. The moment Aeron turned, Kyllian's hands were on his face, and their lips were pressed together.

    Luciana smiled to herself. Either Aeron had taken her advice, or Kyllian had taken matters into his own hands. She didn't care which theory proved true. It was clear they'd come to some sort of understanding, and that was enough for her. Kyllian backed away finally and Aeron swung into the saddle. He clicked his tongue and set off, with the rest of the unit trailing behind him.

    Kyllian returned to Aedion's side. The General squeezed his shoulder lightly and said nothing. Elgan remained silent as well. His expression was one of disapproval, but also resignation. "I'm surprised neither of them said anything," Luciana remarked, watching the officers.

    "I overheard them talking earlier. Kyllian told them they were going to accept that he and Aeron were a couple, or they were going to watch him leave when Aeron did."

    "I'm glad they chose to accept it."

    "Me too." Vaughan pressed a kiss to her temple. "I'll be home late tonight. I have to check in with several of Aelin's spies."

    "I think I'm going to go home now," Luciana murmured.

    "Are you all right?"

    "Today has just been hard."