34. Warm and Cold

The artwork above is not mine.

◦ ── ◦ ☼ ◦ ── ◦

    "This is freezing!" Luciana exclaimed, vigorously shaking a bag full of snow, milk, salt, sugar, and vanilla.

    "Ice cream usually is," Vaughan chuckled.

    Luciana grinned at the sound. Two days had passed since their talk, and already Vaughan seemed to be improving. She'd hidden his weapons and salt in a safe spot within her room and swore not to tell him where they were without good reason. She'd offered to help him take care of his injuries, but Vaughan declined. That confirmed her suspicions. He cut his legs.

    Luciana hoped they'd be able to find a different outlet for him soon, as he still had access to the kitchen knives and all of his other weapons in the rack by the front door. Vaughan assured her that she would notice if any of those were missing. Still, she couldn't help but feel uneasy about it.

    "Shake it harder," Vaughan urged. "It will never be done if you keep going at that rate."

    Luciana rolled her eyes and shook the bag until her very bones were rattling. Vaughan's mouth tilted up, almost in a smile. They repeated the process until Vaughan finally set his bag down and opened it. Luciana followed suit.

    "I never knew you could make ice cream out of snow," she said, sticking her finger into the mixture. She tasted the creamy sweetness and smiled. "It's delicious."

    "I wish we had peaches to go with it," Vaughan said as he retrieved two bowls and spoons. They dished up their ice cream and sat down. "I love the flavor they add."

    Luciana's smile grew as she ate her frozen treat. They'd used up the last of the peaches ages ago already, and there wouldn't be more until summertime. Vaughan was taking the loss on a personal level.

    "I'm going to go to the Bane's camp tomorrow and see Aeron," Luciana said presently. "He's been busy with training, so now that the snow has come, maybe he'll have some time to himself."

    Vaughan nodded. "If it starts snowing while you're there, just stay with him overnight. I don't want you getting lost or freezing to death."

    "Yes, Sir," Luciana snickered. "What will you do with your spare time?"

    "I have to go to Orynth. There's a few things I need to discuss with Aelin and Rowan."

    "What sort of things?"

    Vaughan's mouth quirked sideways. "Affairs of state, I suppose. I can't tell you anything more than that."

    "All right." Luciana finished her ice cream and barely suppressed a shiver. "Ice cream on a snowy day. Who thinks of these things?"

    "I do."

    "Besides you."

    Vaughan tilted his head, a curious look reflecting in his obsidian gaze. "You mentioned learning a few tricks with your magic while I was gone. Did you learn to manipulate the heat your light gives off?" Luciana shook her head. "Would you like to?"

    "Sure." Luciana set her bowl and spoon in the sink, then returned to the table.

    Vaughan moved his own aside and rested his hands face up. No black or silver flames appeared, but gradually, cold began to radiate from his skin. "Channeling your emotions into your magic can affect its temperature," Vaughan began. "The darker my thoughts are, the colder my magic is. I think it will be similar for you. If you're angry, your magic will be scalding. If you're happy, it will be warm. If you're sad, it will be cooler than normal."