My Rock

Zonnique, Bre, and Bahja panicked as the cops walked across the street to Zonnique’s house. They got out of the window, cut off the lights and whispered in the dark room. “We goin to jaaail!” Bahja quietly cried out. “We?! You the one who threw the rock!” Zonnique said. “Shhhh! Yall calm down. We just need to be quiet and pretend we were sleep.” Bre suggested. “What? And let my mom or dad answer the door? Heck no!” “Well then you go answer the door when they knock.” Bahja said. Zonnique shook her head. “Exactly…”

The doorbell rang and the girls carefully pulled back the blinds to see again, not making a peep. They saw the two policemen at the door, and Ray standing in front of his house looking upset. The doorbell rang a couple more times, which is when they heard footsteps coming from up the hall and then down the stairs. They waited a minute then tiptoed out of Zonnique’s room, one behind the other, to the top of the stairs where they saw Zonnique’s mom at the door talking to the police.

“I can’t hear what they saying.” Zonnique whispered. “They tryna come arrest us!” Bahja said. “No they not! How could they possibly know it was us?” Bre said. “I bet Ray ass snitched.” Bahja said rolling her eyes.

“Nique Niqueeee!” Zonnique’s mom called out for her from the bottom of the stairs. “Can you come down here for a minute!” Zonnique hesitantly came from around the corner and walked down the stairs with Bahja and Bre following behind. They just knew they were about to get in trouble for what Bahja did. “Hey girls, I didn’t know yall were here.” Zonnique’s mom said to Bahja and Bre as they trailed behind Zonnique nervously. The girls looked down at the ground innocent as ever, their hearts beating out of their chest. "Afternoon ladies." One of the officers spoke, then Zonnique's mom explained why they came. “I know yall was probably sleep but these officers just told me that yall friend Ray Ray window was broken earlier tonight. Apparently somebody threw a rock at it. They came to ask do yall know anybody that had something against him or his family?” 

The three girls shook their heads and said no in unison. “Are you girls sure you don’t know anything about this?” The other officer asked. “No sir, we were upstairs sleep.” Bahja said. The two officers looked at each other. “Well I guess we’re done here. Sorry for waking you up Mrs. Harris. Have a good night.” Zonnique’s mom closed the door and shook her head. “Damn, that’s crazy somebody bust that boy window up like that. But anyway, yall can gon head back to sleep.” “Can we go out there to see if he’s ok?” Bahja asked. “Yeah but don’t be out there long, it’s late.” “Ok, come on yall.”

Bahja, Zonnique, and Bre sighed in relief as they walked outside passing the officers as they pulled off in the police car. “Umm Bahja, why are you we goin over to talk to him?” Zonnique asked. This would be her first interaction with Ray since the incident between the two. “Because! I wanna know what he told the police, they didn’t just come to your house for no reason.” Bahja replied. Ray was standing on his porch talking on the phone to somebody. When he saw them walking up he hurried and got off. 

“What yall doin over here?” Ray asked only looking at Zonnique. She was trying her hardest not to look at him. She focused her eyes on the broken window on the second floor, and the blinds that kept hitting up against it. “Who was that on the phone?” Bahja said answering his question with another question. “Ay Bahja chill, you Roc’s girlfriend not mine. Don‘t be questioning me.” “Yeah whatever, so why the police came to Zonnique house?” Bahja asked crossing her arms and rolling her neck. “What you mean? Somebody threw a rock at my window and I wanna know who did it, & somehow I think YOU had something to do with it.” Ray said pointing to Bahja. She scowled at him. “Ok and what if I did?” “Bahja I swear if you did it ima-” “You gon what Ray? Hit me?! Bruise me up like you did Zonnique?!” Bahja said getting loud. 

Ray was furious at that point. “You don’t know nothin about what happened between us why you comin on my porch starting trouble mane!” Ray said. “Because you put yo hands on my sister, it ain’t goin down like that! Now, if you don’t want the police to know about your little abusive tendencies, then I suggest you keep quiet about the window. You don’t know nothin.” Bahja‘s evil side was coming out. She did not play when it came to Zonnique or Bre. Ray didn’t know what was coming to him. “You a evil ass girl I swear, goodnight and get off my yard.” Ray said as he turned away and stormed into his house. “Dang Bahja, I don’t think all that was necessary.” Bre said shaking her head, feeling sympathy for Ray. “I’m sorry, just the thought of him putting his hands on Nique just made me upset all over again.” Bahja said. “It’s whatever, I don’t even care anymore. Let’s just go back to my house.” Zonnique said. They all began to walk off but the door opened again.

“Hey….” Bre turned back around as soon as she heard that voice. It was Diggy. “Can I talk to you beautiful?” He asked standing in his doorway. “Aww go talk to yo man girl!” Zonnique said nudging Bre. She giggled. “Ok, I’ll meet yall in the house.” Zonnique and Bahja went back across the street while Bre walked up to Diggy. They just hugged not saying a word for what seemed to be an hour. Her head laying on his chest. Even though it was windy outside, Bre felt so warm and good being in Diggy’s arms again. They were on bad terms ever since he accused her of having an eating disorder again. He realized he was wrong, but also Bre knew she gave him reasons to think so. She knew the real reason she was acting different, and thought it was time that he knew the truth.

Their hug ended when Bre pulled away. “Diggy, I have to tell you something…” “No baby let me go first.” He interrupted, brushing her hair back and caressing the side of her cheek. “I just wanna apologize for what I said and how I went off on you, I had no right to do that. Understand that I was just frustrated that you were treating me so cold and for reasons I didn’t even know. I want to be there for you but I feel like you haven’t been opening up to me like you use to. Remember me and you use to tell each other everything! Those nights we take turns telling each other about our day and all the craziness that happened…” Bre smiled as Diggy went on recalling the good times they shared. “…I never wanna lose that Bre but lately I feel like we just started becoming distant and I don’t know why. But I do love you and that will never change.” Diggy made sure he let Bre know exactly how he felt. Communication to him is key and all he wants is her to be honest with him the same way he is.

‘Ugh not again.’ Bre thought to herself as she started tearing up, not being able to hold them back anymore. She quickly tried to wipe them away but Diggy noticed. “What’s wrong?” He asked helping her wipe the tears. “Digg, I love you too, soo much but I really don’t want you to hate me for what I’m about to tell you.” “Bre didn’t you just hear me? I said I love you and nothing in the world could change that. What’s goin on?” Bre took a deep breath. This was gonna be way worse than telling her mom, she thought, but Diggy had a right to know and she was tired of not being completely truthful with him. She sniffled and wiped her tears away for the last time as she prepared herself. “Ok, well, there’s no other way to say it. I’m …..pregnant Diggy.” His face blanked out instantly. For a minute she thought he had went into a state of shock. “Diggy…” “It‘s mine right?” He asked. “Of course it‘s yours!” “......I….How long have you known?” “About a month I guess…” “Bre, a month?! And you just now tellin me?!” “I’m sorry! I really didn’t plan on keepin it, I mean I still don’t know if I’m gonna keep it but after tellin my mama about the whole situation my way of looking at it changed.” “Wait, what?" Diggy began confused. "Rewind back to you didn’t plan on keepin it.” “Diggy I was set on gettin an abortion as soon as I found out. I mean, what are we gonna do with a baby?! We’re too young, if I keep it then it’s goodbye to college for both of us. No basketball for you, no dancing for me. I‘m not ready for that, and I don‘t wanna have to go through that knowing I‘m not ready.” 

Bre wanted to get it all out right then and there. He asked for her to be 100% honest and that’s what she was doing. Diggy was frustrated but tried his best not to get upset with Bre. “Ahh, let’s not have this conversation right now. This is too much for me to take in all at once. I am glad you told me though, before you got an abortion. Just know like I said I’m here for you baby…” Even though Bre was unsure of her future, Diggy managed to calm her down and she was at peace for once. He was so supportive and understanding. Her rock, someone to be strong when she needed it the most. As long as she had him she knew everything would be alright.

Diggy kissed Bre on her cheek and held her tight in his arms. “Let’s go inside …you can stay with me tonight.” He said leading her inside of his house.