Too Little Too Late

Princeton was awaken by the sound of his step dad yelling at his mom downstairs, the usual. He sighed as he got up, pushed his hair back, and looked at the clock. “Really? 6:30? It’s too early for this…” he said throwing his head face first into the pillow. He tried to get a few more minutes of rest but it seemed like the noise got louder and louder. “Why can’t she just kick him out?” He thought. “Our lives would be so much better.” No matter how hard he tried he couldn’t escape the stress.

Prince was getting so much better with dealing with his feelings though. With the encouraging words of Breaunna he stopped cutting himself a while ago and his arms are healing. His new found love in Larissa might’ve had something to do with his constant smile too. He was definitely happier than he use to be but he was still living in a broken home and it tore him apart inside. Prince can’t stand to see his mom get treated like this but she won’t leave him. He feels like if his mom wants to be with his step dad then she can stay but Prince wasn’t going to stick around any longer. He thought about asking to move in with Ray, but he’s been acting real strange lately and he didn’t know why. Then he thought about Prodigy, but they barely even talk anymore. He didn’t know where to go but he was getting out of there soon. 

Just then Prince phone vibrated, it was a text….  'Nigga u in yo room? Look out yo window’ 

Prince got up and looked out his window where he saw Roc standing in his back yard smoking a blunt. “Waddup playa!” Roc  shouted up at Prince. “Nigga why are you smoking in my back yard! You know if my step dad see you I’m in trouble right.” “Stop bein a lil punk! You dressed?” “No I just woke up.” “Well get ready and come on so we can go to school!” “Aight man, I’ll be down in a minute.” Prince got ready while Roc stayed outside and finished smoking. After Prince came down they both started walking up the street.

“You smell potent! I hope you got some spray or something eww.” Prince said holding his nose and trying not to walk too close to Roc. “It ain’t that strong chill out.” Roc said giving him a dirty look. “I don’t see how you smoke that stuff anyway.” “You the one into all that misfit, peace, hippie shit and that‘s what all that is about.” “It’s more to it than just bein a stoner.” Prince rolled his eyes. “Yeah yeah whateva..”  “What made you even come get me to walk to school?” Prince asked Roc. “Because I ain’t seen none of yall niggas in a minute! You, Ray, or Prod. Remember all four of us use to walk to school together every morning faithfully? Shit half of those days we never even made it to school. We were so close man we did everything together, but now it’s like everybody doin they own thing. It seem like everybody bein distant or actin like they hiding something.” Roc said. “I don’t know man, I guess life been getting a little too real for all of us lately, I know it has for me.” Prince said shaking his head. “What’s goin on bruh?” Roc asked. “The usual, my step dad bein a dick I’m just ready to move out but I don’t have nowhere to go.” “Damn, I would say you could chill at my crib but it’s crazy enough as it is over there!” Roc said.

“True, aye you heard about somebody busting Ray window the other day though?” Prince said changing the subject. “Yeah that’s crazy! I wonder who did it.” Roc said pondering on who it could be. “Who knows, it‘s probably somebody we know. But you know what? I kinda do miss all four of us bein together too. I think we need to reunite, if that’s possible.” Prince said. “I’m all for it! I mean I think it might be a challenge doe cause you know me and Ray felt some type of way when you started dating the girl that kissed Prod, but I don’t even think that’s relevant no more.” Roc laughed. “…as long as you happy I’m cool.” He continued. “I don’t know how Prod gonna react to that. And then the whole thing with Ray kissing Zonnique …” “Roc, this reunion thing might not be a good idea.” Prince joked. “But listen! Bahja told me Zonnique throwing this Homecoming Party right? So we can hit that up like we use to go to parties back in the day. I mean let's enjoy one night with all the bros together.” Roc suggested. “Man I don’t know, you know what happened at the last party we all went to.” Prince said reluctant about that whole idea. Roc sucked his teeth. “Ima hit Ray and Prod up anyway to see what they say about it. If they down are you?” Roc asked Prince as he sighed. “I guess, what’s the worst that could happen…..”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It’s late in the afternoon and Zonnique laid on her bed just thinking about everything. That’s all she seemed to do lately, think think think but never could get her mind straight. From Ray abusing her, to them almost getting caught for Bahja breaking Ray’s window, to her missing Prod …it was just too much going on in her head. She couldn’t even focus on school and cheerleading like she really wanted to. She reached in the top drawer of her bed-side table and pulled out a notebook and other loose pieces of paper to finish planning her Homecoming Party. 

This party is gonna be the perfect thing to relieve all the stress that's been going on in her life, she thought. Zonnique is very well-known at school outside of her circle so of course the party was gonna be a success. The whole afternoon was to be spent making calls and getting prepared for the party. Zonnique made sure she got all of her friends to contribute according to who’s assets would be most helpful. She hit up one of her friends who djs, they call him DJ Spinking, and he agreed to dj at the party. Princeton and Bre agreed to be in charge of the decorations, Roc was down to bring the liquor, since he can get his hands of anything, and Bahja was in charge of making the invitations and getting the word out. Even though Zonnique wasn’t in charge of the invitations she wanted to invite someone personally. After she made sure everybody was clear on their jobs, she made one last phone call…

She scrolled through her contacts to a name in her phone she never had it in her to delete. Her heart beating out of her chest as the phone rang. “Hello…” she said after the phone stopped ringing, assuming someone picked up. “Zonnique?” the voice on the other line said sounding confused as ever. 

“Yeah it’s me …hey Prod how you been?” she said nervously. “I been aight, didn’t expect yo name to pop up when I looked at my phone. Wow how you been?” Prod asked sounding happy to hear from her. “Good I guess. I was really callin you because I wanted to get the word out and invite you to my Homecoming party this Friday. It would mean a lot to me if you came.” There was a silence on both ends of the line for a minute. “What changed?” Prod asked completely bypassing her invitation. “What you mean?” She asked. “Well, for the past couple of months you wouldn’t even look my way or hear me out but now I get this call out of the blue and you inviting me to your party? I was just wondering what changed….” 

Zonnique took a deep breath before speaking. “Ok, I didn’t just call to invite you to my party. I was thinkin maybe we could talk ….about us. I miss you Prod, like a lot and so much has been goin on lately and it really just made me realize that you‘re the only person I wanna be with. My heart just needed time to heal before I could see that.” Zonnique hates it when she has to express how she feels but she felt like it needed to be said. There was another silence on the line. She waited anxiously for his response. “Hello…” she said. “Yeah I‘m here…” Prod sighed then continued. “Wow it’s crazy that you tellin me this now. I waited for you to forgive me for so long. I understand I hurt you but that whole time you was givin me the cold shoulder I was hurting too. I finally got myself together though and stopped makin my own life miserable for a mistake I was truly sorry for and expressed so many times. Don‘t get me wrong Zonnique I love you, I really do but I don’t think we can be together.” Silence again. Zonnique couldn't beleive what she was hearing. She thought he would come running back with open arms. “Why not?” A baffled Zonnique questioned. “We just can’t...” he said. Being the caring person he is Prod didn’t have the heart to tell Zonnique he was seeing somebody else now, but he didn’t have to. “I mean, is it some other girl?” She asked praying that wasn’t the reason. “Yeah…” He said in a sad tone. “Oh ok, i-it‘s cool Prod whatever.” “Hey Zonnique? I’m sorry for the last time, I hope you realize after all this time I meant it with all my heart. I just hope we can still be friends.” “Goodbye Prodigy…” 

Zonnique hung up the phone, threw it, and just pushed all of her planning materials off of the bed. She laid down with a pool of tears falling down her face instantly. She clenched onto her stuffed monkey, King RockStar, as tight as she could and cried herself to sleep.