Forbidden Fruit

Monday morning came around again and Bahja dreaded another long week at school. She avoided Roc all weekend, even when he showed up to her house she didn’t answer the door. All Bahja wanted was time to think the situation through but Roc wouldn’t let her be. She’s torn because she loves Roc no doubt but if he doesn’t want to change and better himself then why should she stay in the relationship? Bahja constantly thought about all the good times they had together and how she wanted him to be her first. She doesn’t want to throw all that away ...she just wants Roc to get his act together.

School was the one place where she couldn't escape Roc. Bahja’s mom dropped her off in front of the school. She knew he would be searching for her and she wasn’t prepared to face him. But as soon as she walked inside she saw her cute new neighbor Manny. He was walking around looking at his schedule then squinting his eyes at each classroom like he had no idea where he was going.

“Hey new kid, you lost?” Bahja said walking up behind Manny. He turned around. “Ha, wassup shorty! I am kinda lost. The hell is this class at?” Bahja took the schedule from him, looked at it, then smacked her teeth. “Fool! You standing right next to the class.” She said pointing up to the room number. “Oh! see I knew I was close.” Manny laughed. “That’s a shame AND you got glasses on.” Bahja said shaking her head. “I don’t even like these glasses man, they make me look lame.” “Haha no you don’t. You didn’t have them on the other day, you look cute with them.” Bahja said. “Haha you think so? Thanks.“ He smiled. She realized maybe she shouldn’t have said that so she continued to look at his schedule. “Hey look you got next period with me!” She said overly excited. “Oh word?...." Manny moved in closer to her to also look at the paper. "And it’s Algebra, good cause ima need a cheating buddy.” He said smirking at her. “Well when you find one let me now cause I suck at math!” “Damn! Well I guess we both outback!”

The bell then rang and Bahja was nowhere near her class. “Boy get inside yo class now you got me late!” She said hitting him on the arm. “Ouch! My bad shorty, but I guess I’ll see you next period.” “Yeah that’s if you can find it.” She said. “Oooh you got jokes huh?! Well how bout you give me yo number so I can text you if I get lost?” Manny boldly suggested. She rolled her eyes. “You ain’t slick, but yeah I guess.” He gave her his phone and she saved her number in it. “There you go, ok now I’m really late!” Bahja said as she threw her bag over her shoulder and paced up the hall.

'What am I doing?' Bahja thought to herself as she headed to class. 'This is only my second conversation with this dude and I can already tell I'm feelin him. I could never do that to Roc no matter how mad I am at him though. Ugh what am I gonna do?' She conflicted with herself knowing the possibility that something could actually happen between her and Manny.

Meanwhile further up the hall, Zonnique and Prodigy were together. Prod was still doing everything he could to stay on Zonnique’s good side, so he thought it would be a good gesture to walk her to class. In the mist of that, Roc came up and started walking with them, asking where Bahja was numerous times. 

“Lord Roc I haven’t talk to Bahj all morning! I don’t know where she is.” An agitated Zonnique said. “I don‘t know bro, this might be a wild guess but maybe she's in class.” Prod said wittingly. “Nah I just came from that way and I ain’t see her.” Roc said bypassing the fact that it was a smart remark. Zonnique placed her hand on his shoulder. “You know I love you like a brother so listen to me ….stop stalking her! She gon talk to you when she ready. Obviously she want some space. I know Bahja and she‘s not gonna like that you keep smothering her.” Zonnique tried to explain to Roc. “You right, I know. But I just need for her to hear me out. How she gon do that if she keep ignoring me? Just let her know I’m lookin for her aight?” Roc pleaded. “Wait, there she go right there.” Prod said pointing to Bahja walking towards them alone. Bahja then noticed who it was. “Bahja please talk to this boy so he can get off my last nerve!” Zonnique said as they got closer to her. “I don’t have anything to talk about can you just leave me alone for right now Roc?” Bahja tried to avoid all contact with Roc. “Look you don’t have to talk, just listen to me….” She folded her arms not really interested in what he had to say. “Ok we’re going to class, text me later Bahj!” Zonnique said. “I gotchu.” She replied. Zonnique and Prod walked off....

Bahja focused her attention back to Roc. Before he could say a word Bahja’s phone vibrated in her hand. She held it up and unknowingly smiled as she read the text, which made Roc highly suspicious. “Who is that?” He asked with one eyebrow raised. “Don’t worry about it!” She said giving him the stank face. “Oh, I been callin and textin you all weekend but all of a sudden you readin texts and smiling?” Roc snatched the phone out of her hand. He read the text while holding her back from trying to retrieve it. “Roc, it’s not that serious give me my phone!” She said reaching for the phone.

The text was from Manny saying, ‘Just makin sure u gave me the right # cutie lol

She didn’t have his number saved so he couldn’t tell who it was.

“So you got other niggas textin you now?” Roc said raising his voice still holding the phone from her. “Really Roc?” Bahja was getting upset and a little embarrassed that he was yelling this loud in the hallway. She didn‘t like it for people to know when her and Roc were having problems, she wanted that seemingly perfect relationship. Roc was dead set on finding out who that was texting her though, so he didn‘t really care at that point. 

“Who is it?! Since when do we hide shit from each other?” “I’m not hidin anything from you, I have no reason to! It’s this guy who just moved next door to me, ok?! It's his first day here so I gave him my number in case he needed help with something.” “Help with what?! That nigga just wanted to get yo number and you fell for it.” “Look, whatever Roc I am not about to do this with you right here.” Bahja was not use to this jealous side of Roc, usually it was the other way around. Usually she would go off on Roc for just looking at other girls.

“You a trip Bahja, I shoulda known when you was about to drive off with that dude at Zonnique party how you were.” Roc said out of anger in the moment. “Are you serious?!” Bahja’s anger level rose up so quick. “You did not just try to turn this whole thing on me! You know I would never cheat on you so why you jumpin on me over a text?! And then to say some nonsense like that! I am fucking DONE!” Bahja snatched her phone back out of Roc’s hand and walked away from him. “Aight be like that then!” He shouted to her as she was walking up the hall. He instantly realized he may have made the biggest mistake by saying that.